_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
My model color paint seems too thin
hockeybrianboy
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 05:16 PM UTC
Don't think I've seen anyone else have this problem. But the model color white paint I bought from Vallejo seems too thin right out of the bottle. Not only does it appear much thinner than the black coming out of the bottle, but when I paint any largish areas with it, there's lots of spots where the paint is really thin; even when painting over it multiple times. Any ideas?
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 05:33 PM UTC
Model Color requires an extensive shake to mix the liquid with
the pigment.
If that does not help, the pigments may have clumped at the
bottom of the bottle(older stock).
Remove the drop dispenser, go in with a toothpick or similar
object and dislodge the pigment.
Re install the dispenser and cap and proceed to shake extensively.
This should help.

Of note, white and yellow paint usually requires 2-3 coats
to cover properly.

Cheers,
Joe
hockeybrianboy
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 05:53 PM UTC
Thanks Joe.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 04:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

the pigment.
This should help.

to cover properly.

Cheers,
Joe

Mr Model Color seems to come in extremes just go to the display rack and you will find some won't shake and some feel so watery . I've been told that is because of the pigments , some are just thicker than others and the lighter shades are thinner as you stated . It is because of this I've sworn off even trying to airbrush this Vallejo line I been too frustrated trying to . And so have a lot of friend that have tried to also .
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 05:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

the pigment.
This should help.

to cover properly.

Cheers,
Joe

Mr Model Color seems to come in extremes just go to the display rack and you will find some won't shake and some feel so watery . I've been told that is because of the pigments , some are just thicker than others and the lighter shades are thinner as you stated . It is because of this I've sworn off even trying to airbrush this Vallejo line I been too frustrated trying to . And so have a lot of friend that have tried to also .

Mr Model Color and Vallejo Model Color, 2 different things.

Good practice to get into with the Vallejo Model Color paints, go to a hardware store and buy some small hex nuts, take off the dropper top and put a nut in each bottle, this will help agitate the paint and get it mixed up better for you.

Avoid using something like a BB as it can sink down into the dropper top when your are pouring out the paint and block the dropper hole.

As far as thinning Model Color paint, couldn't be easier. Using their own AB thinner, mix 3 parts thinner to 1 part paint and Bob's your uncle....couldn't be easier. If you have a color that is thicker than others, add a bit more thinner, thinner than others, a bit less thinner, but most of the colors run about the same viscosity when they are properly mixed up.

If nothing else, if it isn't shaking together well enough for you, you can always take the dropper top out and stir it up.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 06:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

the pigment.
This should help.

to cover properly.

Cheers,
Joe

Mr Model Color and Vallejo Model Color, 2 different things.

Good practice to get into with the Vallejo Model Color paints, go to a hardware store and buy some small hex nuts, take off the dropper top and put a nut in each bottle, this will help agitate the paint and get it mixed up better for you.

Avoid using something like a BB as it can sink down into the dropper top when your are pouring out the paint and block the dropper hole.

As far as thinning Model Color paint, couldn't be easier. Using their own AB thinner, mix 3 parts thinner to 1 part paint and Bob's your uncle....couldn't be easier. If you have a color that is thicker than others, add a bit more thinner, thinner than others, a bit less thinner, but most of the colors run about the same viscosity when they are properly mixed up.

If nothing else, if it isn't shaking together well enough for you, you can always take the dropper top out and stir it up.

Sorry , my fault I had meant to say Vallejo model color , Mr. color is a synthetic lacquer and not an acrylic .
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 774 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 10:06 AM UTC
Brian,
Another easy trick that I have used is to take the bottle (with cap still on) turn it upside down for 5 minutes or so before you need it. Obviously, this allows the pigment to settle into the dropper area. Open the cap and put a few of the now thick with pigment drops on the palette, thin appropriately and you are good to go.

Cheers,
Rick
brentwal
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 100 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2014 - 01:00 PM UTC
Go to WalMart to the fishing dept and buy a couple bags of lead free fishing weights size #4-#7. Drop a couple weights into the bottle plus a drop or two of Vallejo thinner and or distilled water. Then shake.
MadModeler
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 454 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 - 09:04 AM UTC
Did you by any chance buy Vallejo Air Model paint? That will be a bit thinner than normal paint. It is design for air brushing mostly.

Cheers,
Tom
 _GOTOTOP