_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sturm-Infanteriegeschutz 33
Ruffus
Visit this Community
Guatemala
KitMaker: 343 posts
Armorama: 223 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 08:13 AM UTC
Hi!!, I´m planning on building this Panzer III variant and have found that over the time Dragon/cyber-hobby has release some variants of the same tank; now, are there any mayor diferences between this kits? have the early one some issues that were fixed on the subsequent models?

Thanks for any info

Byron
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 09:20 AM UTC
This is the newest version released May 2013. I built this kit, very nice build.
Since there were only 24 actually built in real life, this is the most up to date one by Dragon.

Here's a link between 2 Dragon Versions. The Cyberhobby version come with separate track links as does the older version by Dragon. The most recent has rubber tracks. The Cyberhobby Orange Value kit comes with bonus figures, magic tracks but looks like it lacks some PE parts compared to latest release.
Hope that helps.
http://www.dragon-models.com/d-m-item.asp?pid=DRA6749
http://www.dragon-models.com/d-m-item.asp?pid=DRA6713
http://www.dragon-models.com/d-m-item.asp?pid=CHC9123
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 09:21 AM UTC
Byron;

Hi!

I'll take a sort of stab at your question, as this is a subject / vehicle of interest to me, and I happen to have had one of the 4 1/35-scale kits the D has put out on it...

That's right. There are at least 4 kits out by Dragon / CyberHobby on the S.IG 33 on the Pz III hull... Almost funny, seeing as there may have been around 24 of these ever built!

The oldest and first kit is/was the 9000-series kit put out in the late 1990's? Pre- MagicTracks, old Dragon / DML kit. But a pretty basically-sound kit - just link-on-sprue tracks, somewhat simplified and softer detail, etc.

This kit was re-boxed by CyberHobby as a "Value" Orange-box kit with a set of Magic Tracks and some figures tossed in - pretty common on the markets and eBay. Same old kit, updated tracks, maybe a couple of added PE bits (this is the one I had and recently sold at a model show... ). Often available for a relatively lower price.

Both older kits are curb-side only, and have no real detail inside the compartment.

Dragon did a new-tool kit a couple years ago - Magic Tracks, new hull tub, new hull top, some interior details and a complete gun... modest PE... a completely new kit. Said to be pretty nice; this kit represents the earlier in-use period and has feature, such as rear boxes and spare wheel mounts, as reputed to have been seen on those that went to Stalingrad area in 1942.

And last year, Dragon released ANOTHER modern kit of this vehicle - this time representing the later in-use period from ca 1943 - different fender details and spare wheel mounts and different rear box bits (I think). I think this last, newest release has DS tracks...

I have NOT seen or handled sprues of either of these newer, modern-standard kits, but all reviewers have said that they are of course modern: crisper details, better molding, many more parts, some PE, etc. Folks seem very positive about these newer kits as both good modeling and being pretty accurate. Having the newer Pz. III tracks and road gear would be a real big improvement over the older kits - the boxy and rather simple upper hull may not actually be much different between newer and old kits... The complete gun would be nicer if you like the interior aspects. I would still probably add an AM metal barrel if a metal barrel is not already part of the newer kits.

I keep intending on getting one of these - probably the 1942-era kit, as I prefer Magic Tracks - but have not come across one at a good price... yet!

But, to be sure, I've seen many very nice builds done with the older kits, so it can certainly be done - again, by me, the improvement places would really be the running gear aspects - better and more-detailed road wheels, etc. So, depending on money and "needs", you could probably be pretty happy with any of the 4 kits!

Google the kits and reviews!

Bob
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 11:51 AM UTC
Byron - I just finished one of the older Dragon versions (#6042). It built up well with no problems. You can see the results here:
http://armorama.com/forums/217607&page=1
That said, I wouldn't mind trying the newest version by Dragon, though I'd have to replace the DS tracks with indi-links.

easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 - 03:20 AM UTC
I built the latest release but replaced the DS Tracks with a set of WinterKetten tracks from Cyberhobby. Model is not 100% complete but close.
 _GOTOTOP