_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Tamiya TS-28... Non-spray version?
ceerosvk
Visit this Community
Slovakia
KitMaker: 171 posts
Armorama: 170 posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 - 12:49 PM UTC
Heyo, just a quick question. I'm using Tamiya TS-28 (or, "Olive Drab 2") as my first choice for russian armor buuuut - is there a non-spraycan version of this paint available anywhere? It's just annoying to spray it out into an extra jar so i can put it in the airbrush, it takes long and i even loose some of the paint by doing that. I just couldnt find it in any shop in the good old glass jar, are they really making only the spray version?
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 - 02:57 PM UTC
Hello Michal,

Olive Drab 2 for Russian armor? I thought XF-61 Dark Green was
the best match?

Anyone else with input on this?

Cheers,
Joe
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 - 03:33 PM UTC
Not sure how close a match but Mr Hobby H052 olive drab #1and H078 olive drab #2 . You could give those a try and they are compatible with the Tamiya X20A thinner .
Precious_rob
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 206 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 - 03:43 PM UTC
To actually answer your question, unfortunately, no that hue of olive drab is only available in the spray can
ceerosvk
Visit this Community
Slovakia
KitMaker: 171 posts
Armorama: 170 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 03:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Michal,

the best match?

Cheers,
Joe

Well, i tried a whole bunch of various shades of dark/olive green for Soviet armor and TS-28 is far the best in my opinion

Well yeah, as i expected. Nevermind thanks for the replies, ill just keep on spraying the TS version into the airbrush pistol xD
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 05:18 AM UTC
How about Mr. Color 38 ? TS is a synthetic lacquer and to me it seems slightly greenish when compared to XF 62 . But I think the difference is so small a wash should be able to make that up .
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 06:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hello Michal,

the best match?

Cheers,
Joe

Well, i tried a whole bunch of various shades of dark/olive green for Soviet armor and TS-28 is far the best in my opinion

Well yeah, as i expected. Nevermind thanks for the replies, ill just keep on spraying the TS version into the airbrush pistol xD

I like to custom mix ALL of my paints which I apply over my base-coat. The base-coat also doubles as a prime-coat. Remember that in "real-life", all "flat" paints start to weather and fade almost immediately after the vehicle leaves the factory, leaving you with an almost endless variety of colors to choose from.

Just a suggestion- Why not just use your TS-28 straight from the can as your base-coat, and once that dries properly (24-48 hours), go on to your weathering process? I do this a lot of times, with excellent results...
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 03:41 AM UTC
The bottom line is your mind was made up from the start , there is no equivalent to ts 28 . So what can you do ?
 _GOTOTOP