_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
TKS 20mm Tank Destroyer
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 04:49 AM UTC
Todd Michalak gives us his review of First to Fight’s TKS 20mm (Polish Tank Destroyer).

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 06:31 AM UTC
Good review. I sure wish they had done this in 1/35 as the current offerings of this tank are just above poor (to phrase it nicely).

On a side note, the historical notes are slightly wrong. There were actually 292 TKS's built, of which around 20 were upgraded to the 20mm right before the war started. Here's a page with a more detailed history: http://derela.republika.pl/tk.htm
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 08:11 AM UTC
Thanks Bob! I think I was refrring to the collective TK (3) and S's..but thanks for that link...seems pretty comprehensive. I wish I could confirm the story line history from the booklet but I cannot read Polish. I agree this would be a fine addition in 1/35! Fun couple hours start to finish just the same and should make for a great Christmas tree ornament for next year!!
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 08:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... I wish I could confirm the story line history from the booklet but I cannot read Polish. ...

Not to worry, Todd, there are plenty of Polish builders on here. I imagine it won't be too long before one of them to picks up the kit and chimes in.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 08:24 AM UTC
LOL...one good thing for the internet when it comes to the stroies...copy and paste translation!!!
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 09:56 AM UTC
Wow, what a "cute" little critter and I thought the Fujimi 1/76 Panzer I was small! Nice job on this one Todd. From the size of the dime in the one picture I can only guess that it's about two-thirds the size of my Pz I! Did you have any problems with removing the gun barrel from the sprue? I've read a couple of build articles on this thing and in each the barrel broke. Nice to see some unique vehicles coming out in Braille before those for the LEGO scalers.

Regards,
AJ
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 03:35 PM UTC
Thank you AJ! The gun barrel was not a problem with removal...I snipped the tabs off long and then snipped them closer after. Sanding was, well as you would expect...tiny and carefully but not too bad taking my time. Definitely nice to see the new subject matter, all the more fun!!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 06:12 PM UTC
With the cost of the packaging taking almost half the total cost, they could have included two tankettes for $20.
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Armorama: 1,023 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 06:49 AM UTC
Nice review, I especially like painting and weathering you did!

There are a couple of accuracy isues with this model stemming from the fact that the base for this model was a hull for TKS tankette (as in the realality) but in real TK 20mm periscope for the gunner was slightly offset to the left, near left edge of the casemate, also the gun should be offset a bit to left in its mantlet. Hatches layout was different on the right side of the vehicle (again it is correct for TKS version armed with MG) there should be two flaps instead of three (the pece with periscope is fixed part of superstructure.

For the TK 20mm AA Machine Gun mount on the right sponson should not be fitted, as it was used to place the MG taken out from the casemate for AA purposes. As TK 20mm is not equipped with MG, this was deleted from this version and the part should be omitted on this model.

Couple of things to clarify from the general side of things:

This series is intended for wargaming, for September 1939 system that authors of the series are still developing.

At the beginning those kits were published every 2 weeks, since no.5 it will be one model every 3 weeks.

The models are published alternately, meaning after Polish vechicle (or figures) there is a German vehicle and then again Polish.

As this was the first in the series it was half the regular price (probably because of low number of vehicles converted to 20mm FK gun its use will be restricted in the possible wargaming scenarios ) which is about 3 $ (10 PLN in Poland) with about 6 $ for every subsequant issue of the series.

So far the released models are:

1. TKS 20mm
2. Pz.Kpfw. 1A
3. C2p Artillery Tractor
4. Sd.KFz 265
5. TK3 tankette
6. due for release next week: Sd.Kfz13 armored car

My personal remark would be that I find models of Polish vehicles from this series better detailed. This may be only because they are so far smaller than German examples (yes the tankettes are half the size of Pz.kpfw. IA) and of predominantely riveted construction which offers plenty of eye candy on a model this small.

Below is my assembled no.5 TK 3 Tankette:

Cheers,
Greg
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 10:54 AM UTC
Hello Greg, Thank you for the in depth after-review. Nice to know a bit more about this vehicle. The level of detail on this is actually really nice for the scale...superb as the size of the 1:1 tankette is so tiny making its scale alter ego all the more impressive.

Nice looking "No. 5"!! Have fun painting yours...I had some fun laying mine out. I will take your word on the detailing of the Polish releases being more detailed as I have not seen the German ones yet. Now if First to Fight could master the tracks without all of the attachment points these little tankettes would be must haves for anyone loving this scale and the subject matter.

Thanks for chiming in...looking forward to that paint job!!
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2014 - 09:08 AM UTC
Hi Todd, no problem. I will probably paint no. 5 over the weekend, but the earlier ones are still pending, here is a little family photo:

Cheers,
Greg
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2014 - 03:51 PM UTC
That is fantastic Greg! Love the camo on the PZ.!! Pretty sweet!!
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 11:20 AM UTC
Thx Todd, you are too kind!

Cheers,
Greg
 _GOTOTOP