_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Brushes wear out very fast.
Phil5000
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 165 posts
Armorama: 135 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 08:04 AM UTC
Hi guys.

I have a problem with my paint brushes wearing out and losing their tip after only a few weeks. I like the Windsor & Newton Series 7 because they have a very good tip but I'm constantly having to replace them.

I use Humbrol enamels for brush painting because Tamiya and Gunze dry too quickly (Vallejo are difficult to get where I live). I suspect it's the thinner I clean them in, either Humbrol thinner or artists turpentine that is the culprit. I also use aluminium foil over a pallet and mix my paints on that, and I wondered if the foil was damaging them.

So I think what I'll do is make the transition to acrylics but will I have the same problem because I still have to clean the brushes with acrylic thinner. I use Tamiya and a my local hobby shop's home brand. Is there something safer to clean them in?

Thanks very much.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 08:17 AM UTC
A simple way to keep the tip is to oil them. Use a low viscosity oil. Oil the tip, before the first use.
Remove the oil by rinsing with paint thinner, before you paint. After every use, repeat this process. I have only had to replace two brushes, in six years.
walley54
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 108 posts
Armorama: 92 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 08:33 AM UTC
After you clean your brushes with thinner, wash them in hair shampoo, will keep the bristles pliable. You can also go to an art supply shop and get brush conditioner.I would also advise against using your brush to actually mix the paints on your pallet, use a pallet knife, or something as simple as a popsicle stick
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
Armorama: 643 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 08:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A simple way to keep the tip is to oil them. Use a low viscosity oil. Oil the tip, before the first use.
Remove the oil by rinsing with paint thinner, before you paint. After every use, repeat this process. I have only had to replace two brushes, in six years.

interesting tip, do you mean something like vegetable oil?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 09:56 AM UTC
No. It needs to be a non-food oil.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 10:06 AM UTC
Or you could just get some masters brush cleaner .
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 12:34 PM UTC
For natural bristle brushes, like the W&N sable, after you wash them, you can give them a dip in ordinary hair conditioner and reform the tips. Leave the conditioner in the brush and rinse it out in thinners next time you use the brush.

The Master's Brush Cleaner and Conditioner is pretty much the same stuff as hair conditioner, just in a semi-solid cake. (This is what I actually use now, but the end result is the same.)

I also clean my brushes using W&N Brush cleaner which is quite aggressive, but it will get all of the paint out of the bristles and ferrule. Using a conditioner afterwards is an important next step, IMO.

Unfortunately, brushes do just wear out. However, keeping them clean and conditioned will extend their life considerably. When you clean them, don't bung the ends of the bristles on the bottom of your thinner cup or swish them across the bottom. Roll the handle while holding the bristles in the thinners against the side of the cup.

Also, be sure to "pull" the bristles toward you as you wipe them off on your rag or towel after rinsing. Try to never "push" the bristles into the drying towel material.

I had to "retire" one of my favorite detailer brushes just today, but when it's time, it's time... Blending oils and hobby enamels is hard work for the tips of natural bristles, though. It just goes with the territory, I guess.

Happy modeling!
 _GOTOTOP