_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Which Sherman is the base for this conversion
panorama
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 254 posts
Armorama: 253 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 08:41 AM UTC
Hi to all the Sherman-experts around
(and to those that like to learn from them).

I have been to the Israeli Air Force Museum in Hazerim. There I found this conversion of a Sherman tank among the exhibits in the Anti Aircraft Section.

My question is: on which Sherman variant was this conversion build? My very basic research lead me to the conclusion that it might be a M4A1 with HVSS-suspension. But this seems to have been a rather rare vehicle.

Looking forward for your answers

Michael
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 08:57 AM UTC
Looks like a "Kilshon" to me :

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/vehicles/self_propelled_artillery/kilshon/Kilshon.html

http://web.inter.nl.net/users/spoelstra/g104/il-kilsh.htm

Here's another view :

and some walkaround pics :

http://ckclub31.ipmsfrance.org/wa/shermKilhon/

H.P.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 09:24 AM UTC
Yep, it's based on an M4A1E8 (late "big hatch" M4A1 with the HVSS suspension).

In 1:35 you could go with the old Italeri M4A1 hull or the DML Op Cobra hull, and add the HVSS set of choice.

[Edit: Or, you could use an Academy or Tamiya M51, to get both hull and suspension in one box!]
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 683 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 02:56 PM UTC
I don't know but would these hulls have been updated with Diesel engines?
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 05:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't know but would these hulls have been updated with Diesel engines?

Yep.

You can see the modifications to the engine deck here.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 - 04:45 AM UTC
Based on the fender supports, I would say that this was converted by the IDF to HVSS, as the US-manufactured HVSS tanks used the turnbuckle-style supports.

KL
tgannon
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 - 11:35 AM UTC
Note also that the fenders themselves lack the holes for the sand shields, another sign that the HVSS was a retrofit. I've been able to walk around this vehicle as well, plus there is another elsewhere on base, on a composite hull M4. The Kilshon was converted from an M50, based on some visible weld scars. The museum itself is definitely worth seeing, even for the aircraft. :-)

Tom
Buckeyes57
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 135 posts
Armorama: 130 posts
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 - 11:46 AM UTC
This might help. AEF Designs makes a M-51/Shrike conversion for any M-51 kit (KI-137). Includes. "turret", launch rail, all elevation arms are aluminum tubing to allow for optional positioning. Reload platform, Shrike and booster missile parts, engine deck, travel lock, extra spare track racks and other details.

Link to their website: http://www.aefdesigns.com/Israile_Images/Israeli_Armor_2.htm

Link to pictures of their Shrike: http://www.aefdesigns.com/Israile_Images/ki_137.jpg
panorama
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 254 posts
Armorama: 253 posts
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 - 10:09 PM UTC
Shoot! I am definitely impressed by the response this “off-the-beaten-track”- vehicle aroused. Looks like this is really THE place to post my questions. Thanks a lot to everyone. This really helped a lot and your informations and suggestions are all very much appreciated.

@ Henri-Pierre: I was surprised by the name “Kilshon” you mentioned because the Museum called this vehicle “Chachlilit”. Under the links you kindly provided and when extending my search with the name ”Kilshon” I finally found some information in the www. Same if you spell “Chachlilit” “Kachlilit”. Thanks for that.

@ Tom: Thanks for the additional information as which “hatch” version this Sherman belongs too. To this moment I did not even know to look for it. Your kitbashing suggestions are appreciated but if I will build it (and I think I will) I will build it in scale 1:72. Usually this makes things more difficult as there are hardly any kits in this scale in the first place, usually no aftermarket stuff too, let alone any conversion. But this seems to be the exception from the rule as there is a conversion from Miniature Model.

Now I only have to figure out an appropriate base kit with HVSS in this scale. Any suggestions?

@jowady/@Paul: Pauls statement is confirmed by the information provided by the Museum. If not all than at least most israeli Shermans were converted to Diesel engines. Here is another pic of the rear of the second vehicle of the Museum. Here the different Sherman version is visible as well.

@Tom/Kurt: Thanks for your remarks. I would appreciate it very much if you could point out the difference between the israeli style conversion and the US manufactured HVSS-Support as my ignorant eye has not detected it. Your statement is supported by some information I received in the Tank Museum in Latrun where it was said, that quite a few if not all Shermans the Israelis bought with VVSS-supports were converted in Israel itself to HVSS and thus received wider tracks too.
@Scott: Thanks for the hint at this conversion. Even if it is not “my” scale. One should only be aware that AEF Designs on one hand makes very interesting conversions but on the other hand I know of more than one modeller who sat crying bitter tears in front of his kit when realising the quality of the cast. Quality seems to be very variable and it is probably not the worst idea to see and check with your own eyes which kind of quality “your” kit is.

Happy modelling

Michael
 _GOTOTOP