_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
My Georgian Conflict Diorama
BlancoDiablo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 37 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 11:28 AM UTC
I decided a little while ago to do a diorama of some Russian vehicles in the 2008 Georgian conflict. Haven't started on the dio itself, but I thought I'd keep a log here as I do things. So far, I just completed a Zvezda T-90A. This was my first attempt at using masking to do a camo paintjob. I think it turned out alright, or at least I'm happy with it. I probably didn't use enough tan/didn't pattern it correctly, but I'm happy with the look. My main comment on the kit is holy crap it was complicated!! Especially all the tiny parts on the turret. But all in all, it went together very well and it was fun to build. I plan on adding a couple of figures in the hatches on the turret later, but I need to find out where to buy them first! Anyways, so here is the first of 2-3 vehicles for the diorama that I will be building. Next will be either a GAZ-2330 Tiger or a BTR-80A. Gotta love a girlfriend that buys you model kits

I'll probably take some better pictures tomorrow.
andrekidbsb
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Brazil
KitMaker: 284 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 11:44 AM UTC
Congratulations! Your T-90 is well done but I think that T-90 wasn't used in Georgia-Russia 2008 conflict.

Cheers
André
todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 11:49 AM UTC
Nice effort on your T-90. I too like the Kit from Zvezda. T-90 may wasn't used in the first place but there are plenty now stationed there in the breakaway republics South-Ossetia and Abkhazia.

All the best,
Andreas
BlancoDiablo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 12:00 PM UTC
Hmm rats. I had heard mixed things on the use of the T90. Have there been any conflicts where the T90 has been used? And what WAS used in Georgia? Updated T72s/T80s?

EDIT: May just end up using the BTR and GAZ in the dio.
andrekidbsb
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Brazil
KitMaker: 284 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 12:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmm rats. I had heard mixed things on the use of the T90. Have there been any conflicts where the T90 has been used? And what WAS used in Georgia? Updated T72s/T80s?

Russia used T-62, T-55M and, possible, T-72.
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 02:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Russia used T-62, T-55M and, possible, T-72.

T-72B's with ERA too, unless I've mislabeled ones that are actually Georgian.
BlancoDiablo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 03:01 PM UTC
Has the T90 been used in any conflicts by Russia?
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 03:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Has the T90 been used in any conflicts by Russia?

According to this document,Moscow Defence Brief it was in War of Dagestan (more info here )
BlancoDiablo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 11:22 AM UTC
So they were used in the conflict that led up to the second Chechen war but NOT in Chechnya, a few miles to the west? That doesn't make sense.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 11:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So they were used in the conflict that led up to the second Chechen war but NOT in Chechnya, a few miles to the west? That doesn't make sense.

Well they didn't technically need the T-90 in Chechnya- they weren't facing anything as advanced as that- same in Georgia- they were better off to deploy only what they actually needed. The Russians were stung once by the failure of the T-80 in Chechnya- basically they handed them out to crews who were not properly trained how to use them and they were not combat effective- they also lost a few to the Chechens who seemed to know where the weak-spots of the tank was. Steve Zaloga's Osprey book on the T-80 has info about what happend.

As for Dagestan I have read reports that don't mention any use of the T-90 there- in a similar vein to Chechnya they wouldn't really have needed them. I've also read the claims in the article posted by John elsewhere- the T-90 hit by seven RPGs, thats been written in a few places before about Dagestan- its an interesting source but it doesn't confirm beyond doubt they were used- it could have been a T-72 variant- the more advanced ones have a similar upgraded armor package to the T-90. T-90s may have been deployed nearby though, as they were/are near the border with Georgia. Now just talking about picture evidence- there are plenty of photos taken of all the conflicts mentioned and plenty of them are of various tanks- none of them are T-90s. If they were, in fact, deployed in those places, it stands to reason there would be a picture or two as there are of other tanks and vehicles deployed, yet I've never seen any. There could be pictures out there to prove me and others wrong but I haven't seen them- and thats why I and others tend to err on the side of caution- and say that T-90s were more than likely not present in combat during these conflicts.

Having said all this I also don't want to rain on your parade, so to speak. If you want to do a Georgia dio with a T-90 then go for it- it might not be 100% accurate but I'm sure it will look good and be an enjoyable project.
BlancoDiablo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 08:16 AM UTC
Thanks a ton for the info, guys. Looks like I won't be using the T90 for a Georgia dio. Does anyone have any info on whether the BTR-80A (as in the one that Zvezda put out with the 30mm gun) was used in Georgia or not? Or possibly the Second Chechen War?
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 11:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks a ton for the info, guys. Looks like I won't be using the T90 for a Georgia dio. Does anyone have any info on whether the BTR-80A (as in the one that Zvezda put out with the 30mm gun) was used in Georgia or not? Or possibly the Second Chechen War?

I believe they were used during the second Chechen war. I'm not sure about Georgia though, its possible it was but right now I don't recall seeing any pictures of any there. I'll take a look at the refs I have and see if I can spot any.
BlancoDiablo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2014 - 07:18 AM UTC
I know I've seen pictures of Georgian BTR-80A's with the 30mm but I haven't been able to find any Russian ones in Georgia.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Armorama: 2,263 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2014 - 07:37 AM UTC
Seam work Jeff. You have to get that down. There are a lot of seams showing that shouldn't. Fuel drums, the doo-dad on the back of the turret, smoke dischargers, and the like. Little things that stick out.

Not a wise one to Russian, but looks nice (just fix the small errors...)

Mike

BlancoDiablo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2014 - 08:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Seam work Jeff. You have to get that down. There are a lot of seams showing that shouldn't. Fuel drums, the doo-dad on the back of the turret, smoke dischargers, and the like. Little things that stick out.

Not a wise one to Russian, but looks nice (just fix the small errors...)

Mike

What's a good way to fix that? Putty and sanding?
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2014 - 11:57 AM UTC
Careful construction(dry fitting, taking your time, checking references etc) dramatically reduces the need to sand seams later on. I'm always sure to have a variety of sanding products on hand to tackle any seams that do rear their ugly head during a build or after painting. One thing I love for sanding rounded objects is the flex-i-file #700 http://www.flex-i-file.com/flex-i-file.php. It makes sanding gun barrels and fuel drums very easy.

Erik
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2014 - 06:26 PM UTC
Hi Jeff;

Mike & Erik are putting you on the Correct Path, always Test or Dry fit your parts. Mold lines and Seams can and are always a Sign of Construction Issues that have a Bad way of showing up during the building process. Osprey Publications have a outstanding Book series on Modeling that are A great source of How Too from Basic too Advanced.
You already have A Great start on your Building Skills with your Pictures of the T-90, and Don't ever let Critics upset your MOJO or your own Mistakes. And Always give your Subject a Undercoat even before you commit too any Pre-Shade. Then you can make any corrections that you see.

GOOD LUCK; MIKE.
 _GOTOTOP