_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Steer me in the right direction
JoLuke
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
Armorama: 54 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 01:34 PM UTC
Im currently prepairing to paint my first tri color cammo pattern on a tamiya panther, and I have a few questions, 1st is that I plan on doing some weathering, so when I paint on chips, should the light edge around the paint match the color of the cammo the chip is on, or should it be a lighter color of the basecoat? 2nd question is that if im doing a traditional green yellow and red/brown cammo pattern, what would be good colors for filters and possible dot filters? and lastly, I know that germans used red/brown primer, but alot of people paint chips on german vehicles grey, is there any reason for that?
any advice is appreciated, if all goes well, i'll finally put some pictures of a model up on the sight
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 05:15 PM UTC
Hi Jonus,

You can see and read my techniques for all of the above questions in these build blogs:

Armorama::Panther Ausf. G

Armorama::StuG IV early to late conversion

I think I hit the painting and weathering pretty heavy in both of these, but if something's not clear or detailed enough, don't hesitate to ask.

I'm sure others will chime in here, too.

Happy modeling!
JoLuke
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 08:38 PM UTC
thanks for the links, they answered most of my questions, and since im doing a tri color camo I probably wont need to do a dot filter, I noticed that in your links you had some soldiers and I was wondering what you used to paint the metal on there rifles? I was painting some soldiers and I tried mixing in a small ammount of tamiya gun metal with german grey, and it was still alot sparklier than I want
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 02:23 AM UTC
I use a basic "dark gun metal" mix made from Vallejo "Rubber" (a very dark bluish-black gray) and Citadel "Boltgun" (a rather bright gun metal).

I highlight the edges and other details with Citadel "Boltgun," "Chainmail," and "Mithrial" silvers which are three different, progressively brighter colors. I try to be a little more selective and logical with this highlighting then just dry-brushing. When doing the highlighting, I also try to emphasize parts of some weapons that might be removed or disassembled often (removable magazines, changeable gun barrels, etc) by either showing more or less wear than on the rest of the gun.

For weapons that were Parkerized, I go over these colors with a wash of Payne's gray oil paint. For weapons that were blued, I use an oil wash made of indigo.

Finally, I give the weapons an overspray with a clear flat like Testor's "Dull Coat."

The Breda MG on this model was painted using these techniques:

I used a Payne's gray wash on the gun and barrel and an indigo wash on the magazine. I limited the highlighting on the magazine and (removable) gun barrel to contrast those details from the well-worn receiver group.

The full build blog can be found here:

Armorama::M13/40 early - Tamiya & Italeri Kit Bash

HTH!
JoLuke
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 10:20 AM UTC
Gotcha, I've heard nothing but praise when it comes to citadel paints, i've been using tamiya exclusivly, but there metal paints just looks glittery in my opinion, i'll have to try using a dull coat on it though to see if that cuts it's shine down at all, thanks for the advice, im probably gonna read through a few of your build stories to see if I cant dig up any more tips of the trade
 _GOTOTOP