_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Suggestion for addition to site
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 05:56 AM UTC
I don't know if this has been suggested before, or even what, if any, legal problems might come up but here goes. I know that a lot of people on this site have scanners, or at least access to them. Perhaps we could start some kind of data base of scanned images? Things like scanned instruction sheets, decals, images, things like that. This would stricktly be for things like when somebody has lost the instructions, decals, etc, for their kit.

Is this something anybody would like to see?
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 06:03 AM UTC
Instructions might not be a problem. But Articles & Images sure will be a Big prob. Copyright laws and all....
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 07:03 AM UTC
We've tossed the idea of an "instruction bank" around before. I think Jim decided back in our infancy that it would be a big drain on space to have all these scanned instructions hosted on the site. The answer could be different now.

Most of us here have scanned and e-mailed, photocopied and snail mailed or even mailed the original to someone who was in need. I know I never pass by a fellow modeler who needs a set of instructions that I have. Whether I've mailed or e-mailed them. I do think there is a site dedicated to uploading instructions on the web.

As far as articles or scanned photos, you do get into the copyright area. Again, back in the site's infancy, Jim didn't want us to have a gallery full of photos copied from elsewhere on the web. It was a waste of space back when we had limited storage space. Again, now it could be a different answer.

I think that amoung the various users here we've accumulated a vast amount of original photographic reference material. Some of it can only be found here. I've noticed some of my motor pool photos popping up in other sites references. I can usually tell my own work, it's fuzzy and off-centered
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 07:14 AM UTC
How about a directory of members that may have the instruction sheets and we could PM them for copies.
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 07:19 AM UTC
If I see a post ,I'll scan and send them (if i've got 'em)
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 07:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How about a directory of members that may have the instruction sheets and we could PM them for copies.

That would overcome the copyright barrier.

If there would be a database listing people who can help out with instruction sheets, that would be almost as good as being able to download them directly. Without the legal issues that you would have if you upload them.

A database could look like this

ARMOR
Brand 1
Scale 1/35
Vehicle type A Member 1 Member 2 Member 3 Member 4
Vehicle type B Member 5 Member 6
etc...

whereas clicking on any member opens a window that opens PM or e-mail communication to request this fellow member to help you out with the instruction sheet you need.

I don't have too many instruction sheets to help out with, except for the AFV 1/35 M35A2 kit's. I'm a scratchbuilder, remember ?

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 08:05 AM UTC
Eventually I might be able to put something like an "Intruction share" into the Kitbase system which is in development at this time. So for each kit (part id) there will be "resource links" one of those links could be to a URL where someone has made the intructions available.

Personally I doubt highly that manufacturers would mind these instructions being made available in PDF or other formats. In fact I would imagine that this might even become the norm in future years for them to publish a PDF version (once they start to realise it's the 21st century and all).

Cheers,
Jim
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 08:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Personally I doubt highly that manufacturers would mind these instructions being made available in PDF or other formats. In fact I would imagine that this might even become the norm in future years for them to publish a PDF version (once they start to realise it's the 21st century and all).

They'll start giving a webpage rather that printed sheets #:-) #:-) #:-) #:-)
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 10:18 AM UTC
It seems pretty cumbersome to me. That is just my opinion. If someone needs instructions, just toss it out in the forums and someone will help out. I have sent numerous parts and articles to people and don't have any problem at all doing it. Are we talking about updating a data base every time someone buys a new kit? The people in the forums seem to be really good at helping out. Why change it?

Again, just my opinion.

Shaun
zer0_co0l
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,432 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 11:00 AM UTC
hi guys.

I work in a modelshop as some of you know..

when I get my new scanner I can go to the shop on my day off with my laptop and try to scan the kits we have. or once in a while scan all the requests people make.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 04:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In fact I would imagine that this might even become the norm in future years for them to publish a PDF version (once they start to realise it's the 21st century and all).

Eduard does this with their PE instruction sheets. It is really helpful to check out the sheets to see if the PE set is worthwhile.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,612 posts
Armorama: 449 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 09:40 PM UTC
Do decals enter the realm of "scanned photos"? Because I'm currently in the process of scanning all my decals - old/used and new/unused for archival/backup purposes (a hit on a bottle of Micro Sol which spilled over a decal sheet, as well as the accompanying curses uttered, made - forced - me to do this back up thingy).
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 12:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

In fact I would imagine that this might even become the norm in future years for them to publish a PDF version (once they start to realise it's the 21st century and all).

Eduard does this with their PE instruction sheets. It is really helpful to check out the sheets to see if the PE set is worthwhile.

Don't forget Aber does also Rob!!
Good idea as far as I have read I have about 1 or 2 gigs of saved photos from different sites and pics that could be made into cd's we could share cd's amongst our selves.
For the folks that don't have cable or dsl connections!! (++) (:-)

Plus the *cough* Full *cough* version of the Pdf file maker
Aye Matey!!! (++) (:-)
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 01:18 AM UTC
To have available the instructions sheets is a great idea. I think that with the active members of Armorama we can obtain practically all the instructions sheets that exists. :-)
 _GOTOTOP