_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Easy Pastel Rust
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 06:24 AM UTC

A couple people asked about the rusty exhaust on a 1/72 Panzer IV.

I use simple chalk pastels for rust.

On this one, the entire model had been given a base of dark yellow, followed by the brown and green camo colors, and then overspray of dark yellow to tone it all down and make it look 'used.'

At some point in the weathering process, I will give the muffler its first heavy 'wash' of orange colored pastel dilluted in a few drops of rubbing alcohol and then cut with water to make a sort of pastel 'soup.'

Using earth tone pastels, I use this type of wash for the entire moedl as well.

You need to give many applications letting the water evaporate completely leaving the pastel behind. I may do as many as ten washes with this mixture to get a good build-up of 'rust.'

I like to leave some bigger chunks of pastel in the wash mix to give some texture to the exhaust.

When I feel I have gotten the amount of 'rust' that I want, I will then do one or two washes with some dark grey and black pastel mixed in.

Finally, I will use some dry pastels to finish the job. I might use more dark grey and even some light colors for contrast. When I feel the entire model is complete, I give a flat coat (usually Floquil) and this seals the rust at the same time.

Very easy and you don't need to buy any special products. You can, however, use Rustall for the base and can also use Rustall to mix with pastels of your choice to get exactly what color rust you want. Rustall is a nice product but I find that it is way too orange when used alone.

For 1/35, you may want to try and add a little baby powder to get a more scale like effect.

Steve
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 07:10 AM UTC
Ditto on Rust All. I use it as my base with pastels mixed in. One twist to get flaky looking rust is that I will dust the wet wash with baking soda and let it dry. The soda will take on the color of the wash. When it is completely dry I give it a light spray of Flat clear to seal the pastels in.

Your rust on the exhaust is serperb by the way
 _GOTOTOP