_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Weathering white interior
thewrongguy
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 448 posts
Armorama: 306 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 05:01 AM UTC
Hi all.

I'm working on my 1st open topped TD since I was a kid. I was wondering if someone could suggest a good wash/filter colour to tone down the stark white of the interior.

Thanks for your time.

Jeff
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 05:23 AM UTC
I have found this daunting, as well. And, how to apply said wash/filter?
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 05:41 AM UTC
I start with a light grey as a base. Then I come back with my white, and try to only hit the stuff closer to the top, to make it 'pop' more.

After that, just a usual overall wash and some chipping. (I use a pencil instead of actual painted chips)

Here's some pictures at the bottom of this page for my M3 Grant:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/194558&ord=&page=10

Check out the last 2 photos in the first post here: https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/203417#1704260

You can see the lower hull has the grey tone. This was done as one of the very FIRST Chaffees to be put into combat, so the weathering is rather light on the interior since the vehicle would have only been in operation for a few weeks at the most.
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 295 posts
Armorama: 204 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 07:38 AM UTC
I didn't think that the turrets of open topped TDs were painted white. Just like the inner sides of tank hatches weren't painted white. They were painted body colour otherwise they would stick out light a sore thumb from the air.

Cheers,

Nigel
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 07:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I didn't think that the turrets of open topped TDs were painted white. Just like the inner sides of tank hatches weren't painted white. They were painted body colour otherwise they would stick out light a sore thumb from the air.

Cheers,

Nigel

True, if you look at any photos of M7s they don't have any white showing, but I think the drivers compartment was still painted white or otherwise appropriate interior color.
OldWarloke
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2,663 posts
Armorama: 2,649 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 08:02 AM UTC
Hi Jeff
I use light grey pastellchalk dust on the white areas, is seems to work prety good for me . For example I have a SU-100 in 1/16th. scale build going on in the large scale section, I just posted two pictures of the white interior using the dust.
Donald
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 12:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all.

I'm working on my 1st open topped TD since I was a kid. I was wondering if someone could suggest a good wash/filter colour to tone down the stark white of the interior.

Thanks for your time.

Jeff

What tank is it? German , Allied?
German's typically used Ivory or Red oxide or both at same time.Hatches were painted exterior color.Open top TD were painted Dark yellow or the base color of the outside camo.
ie- Nashorn interior with dark yellow as base exterior color.
Allies left their's painted exterior color in the turret area. Olive drab etc...Not 100% about inside the hull.
You may start with a white basecoat & change the final shade by using washes & filter's . But I would double check depending on the vehicle .
MadModeler
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 454 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 - 09:12 AM UTC
You can always try AK 091 Interior Weathering Set.

AK 091 Interior Weather Set

Cheers,
Tom
 _GOTOTOP