_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Great Paint Chipping Tool
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 07:28 AM UTC

I picked this up at an art supply store and have found it well suited for making paint chips, scratches, and areas of worn paint on armor models.

It has a metallic quality similar to graphite sticks, but is very soft. With very light pressure you can rub it over tracks, along hatch edges, or anyplace else you want to show some wear.

The over-grown pencil shape is very hady also. The paper wraper is nice when compared to graphite sticks.

I like it for scratches as by varying the pressure you apply it with, you can create minor or major scratches.

I have found other pencils to be too hard and was always worried about going through my paint job. Plus, you don't need to grind it up like you sometimes have to do with graphite. But, I suppose you could grind it and then brush it on as well.

Steve

mongo_mel
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,580 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 07:49 AM UTC
There is a pencil I use (from work) that is also great for this. It's Stabilo brand and is labeled "all". It's soft enough that it will even write on glass. They're available at most arts and crafts stores and are pretty inexpensive.
I used it to highlight this .50 cal machinegun...
 _GOTOTOP