Hosted by Darren Baker
Italeri's CMP Gun Tractor- AnyTweaks?
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 07:37 AM UTC
Dug this out of the stash (got 4 of them) and thogh of making a strt on it to gor with my Bronco 25 Pounder.

So,any pitfalls any tweaks you can think of? Thanks!
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 07:51 AM UTC
Hi Jim,

PM on route.

Al
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 09:38 AM UTC
The figures are awful, there's some pretty big sink marks to fill. I think Eduard makes an etch set for it. Not too sure about technical details. If you have time though I'd love a scan of the instructions as I have two Tomy boxings sans instruction book!
brian638
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 318 posts
Armorama: 263 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 08:50 AM UTC
Hi Jim,

I did the 15cwt a few years ago, I didn't use any etch but I used sheet styrene and micro tube for the bumper bar. The kits simple in areas but are easy to detail. I had as much fun working out the 'how-to' as I did the building. I also modified the front hubs to allow them to be positioned.

I hope this helps

Brian
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 09:52 AM UTC
Someone makes an etched radiator grill to replace the cast in place item.

Using wire to replace that front brush guard rod is an excellent idea and also, you did some beautiful work on the air powered windshield wipper motors and their hoses!

Regards
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 - 09:37 AM UTC
The main problem with the 15 cwt or Chev quad kits are that they are nearly 40 years old. The parts are chunky, the detail a bit heavy handed and the moulds were never optimised so there are a thousand sink holes all over the place.

The Eduard etched set is really good and adds things that aren't in the kit like the wheel chocks that are up under the rear wheels.

There are also parts tha only a gnat could fit or an octopus could fold, as per usual.

On the other hand, the Eduard set also sometimes just replaces bad kit parts with bad PE parts, the two rear POL racks are examples of that. The PE parts are just thinner representations of the kit stuff. Neither will hold either of the 1, 2 or 4 gallon flimsies which they were supposed to, so it should be replaced entirely, but finding detailed enough pictures of the rack are hard to come by. And, if you do find them, you'll find that there isn't enough space behind the rear wheel to actually fit the proper flimsies, which tells me that either the wheelbase is off or the bed is too short.

At that point I declared discretion to be the better part of valour and simply cut the flimsies short enouh to go in the Eduard racks and moved on...

Things like the whinch sheave mechanism shoud be rebuilt entirely as it looks like it's made of welded 2" thick plate, but a you can decide for yourself where things need to be replaced due to being over thick. There's a lot of them.

Still, for all that, it's a good kit. Just more work than we have become used to.

Paul
brian638
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 318 posts
Armorama: 263 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 05:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Someone makes an etched radiator grill to replace the cast in place item.

Using wire to replace that front brush guard rod is an excellent idea and also, you did some beautiful work on the air powered windshield wipper motors and their hoses!

Regards

Thank you for the kind words, I did have a a great deal of fun detailing this kit. I have another one in the stash and next time I will cut out the grill as I now have a a 'woven' mesh that will look a little better.

A tweak that will work is to use thick tin foil to replicate the canvas.

Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 06:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The figures are awful, there's some pretty big sink marks to fill. I think Eduard makes an etch set for it. Not too sure about technical details. If you have time though I'd love a scan of the instructions as I have two Tomy boxings sans instruction book!

The etch set is very detailed and will add a lot detail to the cab and outside.
Also, one gets a very transparant grill.

Certainly worth getting it
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 11:31 PM UTC
Once again, many thanks fo the comments. I've already started the gun tractore and yes, as Paul said, it is showing its age. That said, it still is a (broadly) accurate and pretty sophisticated model for its age. Areas like the flimsy racks will probably get thinned down or replaced by evergreen using the kit parts as a template.

I am actually enjoying the build, but (apart from Mirror, why in God's name have neither Bronco nor DML, graced us with a NEW prime-mover. Both of them have the 25 Pounder, Bronco has the Pheasant and the normal 17 pounderAFV Club is supposedly doing another 17. No movement from any of them regarding a towing vehicle...
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 03:23 AM UTC
I built this by Peerless Max over 30 yrs ago. Back then it was sort of 'state of the art', but requires a lot of work now. Mirror Models either has, or will have, a better one. (At modern prices of course!)
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 10:57 AM UTC
Had to share a project I built many years ago, again relying on the tried and true Peerless Max kit(s).

_GOTOTOP