_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Panther Ausf. G 1:72 Revell
SimonK
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 03:04 AM UTC
Hello everyone!

Can someone please tell me which colours do I need to paint this model?

I have access to Humbrol primer, but nothing else. The shop I want to go to has tamiya acrylics, so I would prefer tamiya suggestions. Also, revell's manual is really confusing regarding the colours.. otherwise I would've just picked corresponding tamiya colours

This is my first time painting a model, so I'm looking for advice.

I'm planning to follow the same pattern as seen on the following page:

http://www.missing-lynx.com/gallery/small/pantherg72at_1.html
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 03:28 AM UTC
In my opinion.
Tamiya Dark Yellow XF-60, Tamiya Dark Green XF-61, Tamiya Red Brown XF-64. Lay your dark primer down first. Base coat it Dark Yellow, Green then Brown.
Then after paint is dry, follow that with MIG dark brown ENAMEL wash.
Use Tamiya flat Flesh to lighten your 3 camo colors , use this for "drybrushing" edges on each seperate camo color. Followed by a pencil lead to simulate steel wear edges. If your going to chip, use very fine "german gray" with pencil lead on top of it. [ you can also use very fine sand paper 400-600 grit to lightly simulate edge scratches + pencil lead]
Then use MIG pigments around the lower part of tank ie - tracks. Use your red brown on the tracks + dark pigments followed by tamiya aluminum lightly on the worn edges of tracks.Other steps are using dot oil marks, oil stain marks using oil paints..etc.. never ending techniques. Practice, practice !
Phew...
This camo pattern.

SimonK
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 03:38 AM UTC
Yep, that's what I thought. I also found the same colour suggestion on tamiya site for its own model - http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/plastic-model-series-20/1-48-scale-military-miniatures-10500/german-panther-ausf-g-32520

Thanks for help!

EDIT: Just noticed your edited post, much obliged for all the awesome info, I'm off to the shop to get the paint

Also, should I paint the elements separately or should I glue them first and then paint the whole model? I'm using brushes.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 08:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yep, that's what I thought. I also found the same colour suggestion on tamiya site for its own model - http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/plastic-model-series-20/1-48-scale-military-miniatures-10500/german-panther-ausf-g-32520

Thanks for help!

EDIT: Just noticed your edited post, much obliged for all the awesome info, I'm off to the shop to get the paint

Also, should I paint the elements separately or should I glue them first and then paint the whole model? I'm using brushes.

It's up to you if you want to paint them separately then glue them. Try both ways, see what works best or is more comfortable for you.
I usually put the model together , then spray it. The only exception is the bogies & tracks. I paint those all in first.
I usually spray the lower hull , under the fenders..bogies , tracks..first.
ie- Panther
Prime wheels , sprockets while parts are on sprues. Base coat them Dark yellow. Then assemble the wheels.
Next , prime the lower hull , including under the fenders. Base coat them.
If the tracks are vinyl,prime your tracks, base coat them red brown.
If your tracks are separate links. Assemble them after you have your lower hull & wheels painted & assembled..base coated.Do 1 track at a time, get it assembled, primed, base coated then glue them to your assembled hull & wheels on your model. When assembling tracks, give them a few mins for the glue to dry, not to long, but long enough so they bend easily & won't come apart.
I then put the bogies & wheels on the tank. Then I start assembling other subsections of the model. Test fit the upper & lower parts [hull etc..] , make adjustments. Spray your other camo colors. Make sure you have your assembled turret handy to get your pattern correct. Your wheels & tracks should be complete & on the tank by this point. After the camo is dry & your happy, glue everything together. Let it dry, do sanding where necessary, load the camo colors & do touch ups ..seams etc...
Let that dry an hr or so, move onto your dark wash...etc...
With the camo on the wheels..I only paint what is going to be seen. I don't worry about stuff that isn't seen, but I do make sure I have primer & base coat on all parts.
SimonK
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 12:07 AM UTC
Great post, thank you so much for the detailed response!

What I've been planning to do:

- cut out all the parts and clean/sand them
- put them all on a piece of paper and spray with humbrol primer, 2 layers
- start assembling/gluing parts together, but keeping the big parts separate. So - turret, upper hull, lower hull, wheels/sprockets/bogies/tracks.
- then paint them with the base colour (dark yellow)
- assemble it all together
- paint the camo
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 12:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great post, thank you so much for the detailed response!

What I've been planning to do:

- cut out all the parts and clean/sand them
- put them all on a piece of paper and spray with humbrol primer, 2 layers
- start assembling/gluing parts together, but keeping the big parts separate. So - turret, upper hull, lower hull, wheels/sprockets/bogies/tracks.
- then paint them with the base colour (dark yellow)
- assemble it all together
- paint the camo

Sound's good. Light coats - don't use alot of paint , save the detail on the model. My paint is usually translucent , multiple thin coats.Especially when doing 1/72.
 _GOTOTOP