_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
T-80U camo painting question
roteck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 274 posts
Armorama: 159 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 06:57 AM UTC
Hi guys,

I'm at the painting stage of my Xact T-80U build and I'm still deciding if I'll do a 3-tone (green, sand, black) camo or if I'll just paint it plain green.

Now, from what I can see, green vehicles are mostly parade vehicles, right? Also, if I go with the 3-tone camo, does anyone know what would be the first color to go on the tank? Sand, green? I would say green since the lower part of the hull is all green, but I have been know to be wrong at times... especially when I'm guessing!!!

Thanks for all your help,

Chris
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 07:17 AM UTC
usually you go with the lighter color first,and work your way darker
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 07:21 AM UTC
I always paint my tanks like they would have really been painted. Overall base color first, then camo colors on top.

Erik
roteck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 08:18 AM UTC
Thanks guys, I appreciate the quick replies, but it still doesn't answer my initial question.

What I'm especially looking for is, in this particular case, what would be the first color (I assumed green because of the lower hull/wheels are green), second color (sand) and third one (obviously, black in this case).

I ask this because I want to "chip" the upper colors so we can see the underlying color and from the pictures I have seen, I can't really see what is the first color that has been applied because of lack of "chipping" on the pictures I have looked at.

I hope this clarifies my question.

Thanks in advance,

Chris
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 08:35 AM UTC
It would be green in this case. The black and sand color wouldn't be layered.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 08:39 AM UTC
I know thst you need to be careful in accuratly portraying chipping on a T-90,I read an excellent blog in Abrams Squad Magazine volume 3,and it pointed out,that the tank is made of several different kind of materials,he addresses just what color the chipping should be,if you can get your hands on that article,it would really help you.

but perhaps some russian experts will pitch in
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 09:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I know thst you need to be careful in accuratly portraying chipping on a T-90,I read an excellent blog in Abrams Squad Magazine volume 3,and it pointed out,that the tank is made of several different kind of materials,he addresses just what color the chipping should be,if you can get your hands on that article,it would really help you.

Good points. Another thing, the T-80 is probably pretty well taken care of. I doubt there would be much if any chipping on it if you want to emulate real vehicles.

Erik
Mikeius007
Visit this Community
Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 09:47 AM UTC
Painting a camouflage version is not hard. It just takes some more time and effort and the result is always worth it!!! Personally I start with a thin (usually light colour) layer of primer to mark and eliminate all imperfections and to improve basic colour adherence on the model. My suggestion is to start with a full body paint of the lightest colour and then gradually get it to the darkest. In this case I would go sand first then Russian green and finally the black one. The main reason to do so is that you can much easily paint over lighter patterns to the darkest than vise versa not meaning you cannot try the either way. Not at all!! This proved to me as by far the best option in the past. For the T-80U I would strongly recommend using Vallejo airbrush paint as it resembles the real colour pattern the best! It would be very nice if you posted some pictures of the finished product for us to admire! Cheers!
roteck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 11:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It would be green in this case. The black and sand color wouldn't be layered.

That's what I thought and I certainly hope that we are BOTH right! The base coat is already done and since I'm dying to try the chiping fluid I just got, it would be a shame if it was the other way around! :-)

Quoted Text

I know thst you need to be careful in accuratly portraying chipping on a T-90,... ...would really help you.

I got a copy of it on the way... can't really find it where I live so I have to order it from evilBay!!! Can't wait to read it!

Quoted Text

Good points. Another thing, the T-80 is probably pretty well taken care of. I doubt there would be much if any chipping on it if you want to emulate real vehicles.

Erik

I'm not talking about heavy chipping here, just surface chipping caused by tank on exercise. I'm pretty sure that even a very well maintained tank would have some sort of chipping.

Quoted Text

Painting a camouflage version is not hard. It just takes some more time and effort and the result is always worth it!!! Personally I start ... It would be very nice if you posted some pictures of the finished product for us to admire! Cheers!

I totally agree with you but I'm trying to simulate the real thing but I always try to put down the lightest color first and then go up from there!

You will be able to see pics of it in the gallery for the "Big guns!" campaign once she's done! :-)

Cheers all and thank you very much for the information! :-)

Chris
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 01:58 PM UTC
Hi Chris;

The solid all Green is not what I would call the Parade Scheme, most Vehicles that take part in the May Day Parade tend too Have the White trim around the entire vehicle. The Soviet's have been using the three tone Camouflage on Parade Vehicles for quite some time now. And the all green with the white trim is Hardly seen. If you want a three Tone scheme there is a New set out, I think by Mig; with the new colors that the Soviet's are Showing Off. And you mite want too take a look at the new Desert Dazzeler scheme that they have been showing quite often lately.
CHEERS; MIKE.
roteck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 12:01 PM UTC
Hi Mike and thanks for the info. I was able to find pics of Russian vehicule without the white trim, hence my question!

Thanks again,

Chris
 _GOTOTOP