Hosted by Darren Baker
Mercedes L3000 as a Maultier
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 - 01:02 AM UTC
Question...with photo evidence not showing definitive results, would anyone be aware of the Mercedes L3000 being converted to a Maultier?? Not the Panzer II chassis Maultier, but the typical Opel Blitz Maultier?? If the L3000 did experiment with the Maultier chassis, any photographic proof?

Reason: I've been pondering such a build as it seems every German truck at some point was seen to have tried out the Maultier package of the Opel Blitz fame, yet I can't seem to come up with any evidence of such a conversion for the L3000 (I also plan on adding the plow).

Thanx ahead for any and all replies!
chrisgrove
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 - 09:16 AM UTC
My references suggest that the service versions of the 2t Maultiere were only made by Opel, Ford and Magirus.

Chris
hobgrot
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 - 11:02 AM UTC
in short - No - the Bren system on Opel,Ford & KHD Maultiers had already reached its limit so Mercedes went to a heavier Pz-II external leaf-spring type on a single LGF3000 which was only a minor improvement, so then the L4500R was developed.

You could build one of the Russian conversions - there's video of some GMCs / Studebakers with the Opel Maultier track-system fitted.
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 01:49 AM UTC
Thanx for the input! Having doubts about the applicability of the Bren system to a Maultier by the Mercedes L3000 has been verified! I assumed this due to the complete lack of photos of a Bren Maultier sytem on the L3000 while tons of photos for Bren systems seem to be quite prolific for other vehicles. Back to the drawing board and rethinking my next build...
 _GOTOTOP