Hosted by Darren Baker
Finishing Dragon Sd. Kfz. 261 (#7447)
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 - 06:47 AM UTC
As usual for this time of year I try to finish up outstanding builds. This time it's the Dragon Sd.Kfz. 261 Kleiner Panzerfunkwagen, kit #7447.

The review announcement thread can be found at this LINK. It in turn has a link to the review itself plus there is some commentary/discussion about the kit.
===========================================================================================
On the Internet, pictures of these vehicles seem somewhat rare. Pictures of them with their erected full antenna system appear non-exhistant. Even images of a completed model itself were nowhere to be found. I was also intimidated by this antenna system due to its thin and delicate nature after having repaired certain other parts of the model due to unexplainable breakage's. It seems like the plastic used is more brittle than normal and sprue attachment points for some of the finer parts were quite large.

The fit of the two rear antenna supports is less than positive so it's quite a job to get them attached and then get the frame antenna to sit on the pin on the top of each support. Aligning all these parts is extremely tedious and time consuming, especially when during the process one breaks the frame part twice in two places at different times. Then there was dealing with the left rear support that has the large mast moulded onto it. Getting that support to align with the frame antenna and the mast to be at a proper orientation was a nightmare.

The pictures below show the current state as of a day and a half ago. The model has been mostly painted and weathered lightly with the exception of the antenna system. Yet to come are the width markers, side view mirror and the final pieces of the mast antenna.

As the curse of this kit would have it, the top "prong" of the mast broke when I tried base coating it just after the pictures were taken. I'll have to scratch build a replacement and modify the mast top to accept the new piece.

Cheers,
Jan
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 - 07:11 AM UTC
Sad to hear you've had the problems putting the car together. It looks like you pretty successfully fought through it, though. In 72nd scale, that thing has got to be tiny!
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 - 02:01 PM UTC
Congratulations Jan, I remember this one and also did an Internet search for them and you seem very right about not finding any images of the vehicle or model. That antenna system sorta looks intriguing and definitely like a bear to put together. I have to ask, are the tarps on top by the mesh those ones you just reviewed? Can't wait to see this one move along. Thanks for sharing with the forum.

Regards,
AJ
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 04:57 AM UTC
@AFVFan - Bob,

Modelling is supposed to be about relaxation, NOT frustration, fun versus torment. This is the fourth four wheeled version of the series that I've built (2 x 223, 260 prior) and except for the body the most intense and taxing. Then again, one could definitely say building it will be a challenge!

@weathering_one - AJ,

Thanks and I hope that I have finally beaten the "261 Curse" into submission. The tarps are from Set 1 of the Value Gear Details that are reviewed here on Armorama. I tried various items and settled on the following:

The model is now completely assembled and again, not without problems in the process. Both width markers broke with one breaking while removing it from the sprue (part B9) and the other (part B8) while trying to clean it up. B9 had a huge sprue attachment point along the thinnest part of the marker. B8 actually had a mirror moulded on to it that the instructions show should be removed. These were replaced with stretched sprue with a dab of gap filling CA glue to form the ball at the end. A somewhat similar process was used to form the uppermost part of the mast but I used a more flexible plastic that won't break easily.

A few points to note with the pictures. The base is not the base that the vehicle will eventually reside on. It was cobbled together to allow for painting without needing to touch the model with fingers (and break something again). The photos were some quick snapshots to show that at least at one point the entire thing can or was built, using the camera's built in flash. I apologize for the quality but after all the problems this little beast had, I am rather paranoid.

I've placed Canadian, U.S. and Euro pennies on the base to give an idea of the size of this thing.

Thanks for looking and comments welcome.

Cheers,
Jan
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 04:15 PM UTC
@tread_geek – Jan,

You’ve turned out one heck of a gem! I’ve since have added several 222’s & 223’s and this one to the stash, so I can appreciate just how small these kits are and how delicate the parts are too. What’s needed with these kits is a good pair of eyes, steady hands, the right tools and lots of patience and you’ve certainly managed this on this build. The well detailed resin Value Gear tarps go a long ways in adding color and life to the single color paint scheme on the vehicle.

Really outstanding job on the weathering and painting, especially the grenade screens. The larger than life coins on the base do provide a sense of just how small a kit this is that you had to work with!

Sorry I haven’t dropped by lately but this build simply caught my attention and I just had to leave a comment (been working on the comment, between household tasks since you posted this update ).

~ Eddy
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 05:30 AM UTC
Eddy,

Thanks for dropping in and having a look at this little beast. You are absolutely correct in noting that the proper tools can greatly assist in the assembly of these diminutive armoured cars and a good Opti-visor will surely make the job easier.

Final and proper images of this build are currently pending as the "Curse of the 261" decided to revisit with a vengeance. The forward facing "arm" of the mast broke while I attempted to complete the weathering. This plastic appears to be ridiculously brittle as just a moderately light brushing of the paint had it break in two. There is no way that I know that the two pieces can be rejoined and look acceptable so I will be forced to scratch up a replacement. However, what needs to be done first is to remove the remaining half of the broken arm and then drill out a suitable mounting hole for a new one. No easy task with it's delicate nature and small size.

I would like to suggest that anyone building this kit find an alternate material to use for these four arms. Ideally it needs to be flexible and have resistance to easy breakage. In my case I found that the synthetic bristles from a vehicle snow brush (Oscar?) prove both flexible and durable. I wish that I had discovered this prior to mounting all the styrene ones. Another alternative might be to use some form of metal wire.

Cheers,
Jan
nikon1
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 622 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 02:47 PM UTC
Jan, there's a model railroad detail parts company that makes cast brass stations in HO scale diesel locomotives known as GP7/9s that are extremely close to mast stanchions. Only problem is, I can't think of the name off hand.
Charlie
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 08:34 AM UTC
Greetings to all who have dropped in and followed this build. For all intents and purposes as far as building this one, I'm calling it built. This has to have been the most intense build in recent memory. I've built three others of this family of vehicles so at least the suspension and body held no surprises. However, the antenna system and the extremely brittle plastic made this one a nightmare. Only three original parts of the ten part antenna system survived. All the other pieces were either repaired (in some cases numerous times each) or had to be replaced with scratch built substitutes. It got to the point that when I built a substitute piece, I'd build three or four more.

Anyway, I thought I'd post these images while it's still in one piece. The weathering still needs a bit of tweaking and if it survives, it'll see it's first show next week. And yes, I even got an enclosed display case to house this demon.

Just a reminder, the base used was just for building (repairing) purposes.

Cheers,
Jan
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 02:20 PM UTC
Superb job in finally conquering this kit and you are either the most patient or craziest modeller that I've ever run into. I would have seen it meet my rubber mallet or my fireplace long before now. I'm always taken when I see that anti grenade screen and the two rolls really add to the build. Hope that it stays in one piece for the Hamilton show, I'll be interested to see it live.

Regards,
A.J.
nikon1
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 622 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 02:36 PM UTC
Jan, I must say you've out done yourself on this one.
Charlie
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 08:25 AM UTC
@AJ,

Thanks for the compliments and a touch of insanity would definitely aid in building this beast. It's also a case of beating into submission and until I finished I wasn't sure who was beating whom, me or the kit. While I've had intentions of attending the show, a lot will depend on the weather.

@Charlie,

Quoted Text

Jan, I must say you've out done yourself on this one.
Charlie

Is that good or bad!

Now, other than answering any questions or comments, it's as done as its going to be.

On the permanent base.

A couple of closer views.

The 261's new home!!

I got the base at Michael's and it's actually meant to display a baseball. I didn't want any stray fingers inadvertently being able to damage the antenna system after my marathon struggles.

Cheers,
Jan
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 05:34 PM UTC
Very nice Jan, very nice indeed.
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 - 11:59 AM UTC
Jan,

Each time I see your updated images I get even more impressed. I hope you can make the next show so that I can see the remarkable results of you struggle. I must say that this base looks intimidating! But I was wondering that the model in the last picture looks sort of off centre and is it just placed there or for whatever reason deliberate?

Regards,
AJdx
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 03:29 AM UTC
Thanks Michael and AJ, your comments are much appreciated. AJ, in one way I can appreciate that the display case might appear "over kill" but after the marathon with the antenna system I didn't want to risk this model getting damaged again! I hope the case doesn't work against me in the judging.

Cheers,
Jan
 _GOTOTOP