_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
How to Make Tamiya Dark Yellow More Yellow?
Chrisk-K
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 294 posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 - 06:57 PM UTC
I really like "dark yellow" of Tamiya's box art. It is more yellow and more vibrant than XF60 Dark Yellow.

Will adding "flat yellow" to XF60 give me the result I want? A friend told me to add "light red." So I'm confused.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 - 07:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I really like "dark yellow" of Tamiya's box art. It is more yellow and more vibrant than XF60 Dark Yellow.

Will adding "flat yellow" to XF60 give me the result I want? A friend told me to add "light red." So I'm confused.

Chris;

Probably the easiest thing to do is to try out some small trial batches - find out which mix fits best. Mixing to a red will make the (slightly) greenish Tamiya dark yellow perhaps a bit browner (but not lighter) - mixing to yellow will eventually get it somewhat yellower and reduce the green - mixing it to Tamiya Deck Tan will lighten and brighten it and lessen a little the green and keep it "warmer", while adding white will brighten it, leave it more green, and perhaps "cooler". Mixing to "flat earth plus white" will lighten and make it more tan.

Lots of possibilities!

These are all subjective "impressions" from various mixtures I've tried - I almost always seek to lighten and "fade" it a bit compared to the bottle. My particular color-blindness may differ from yours, so YOU need to try some mixes to find what suits your goal.

Try some mixes with a drop or 2 of paints, thin and spray (if you will be doing the AB for application) on a test board or bottom of a kit or something and let dry. You will soon find which mixture(s) lead toward the shades and tints you want.

Bob
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 - 07:23 PM UTC
I would suggest adding Tamiya Flesh and see if that will visually satisfy your requirements....flesh contains an amount of red, so this may work.

Expect the results to be lighter, because flesh also contains a fair amount of white.

You will have to add some yellow to the mix.

Best to experiment with a few drops of paint and evaluate when dry.

Cheers,
Joe
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 - 09:44 PM UTC
I recommend adding Green Yellow XF-4 to the Dark Yellow. Mix in small batches, until you achieve the desired shade. You could try Desert Yellow XF-59, in place of the XF-4. If you aren't determined to stick with Tamiya, I think that MM acrylic samdgelb RLM may be closer to the color you are looking for.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 - 11:17 PM UTC
I added some Flat Yellow and some Buff myself for a British Challenger I. You can see the result here

HTH
Olivier
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 02:27 AM UTC
What Bob said...

The only way to change the hue of the color towards one of the three primaries is to add that primary color into the mix.

That is, to make a color "redder," "bluer," or "yellower" (i.e. saturate the color) you must add that primary color into the original color.

However, if you're really not trying to make the Tamiya Dark Yellow, XF60 more "yellow" (a value change), but rather going for some other effect then the other color additives suggested might get you where you want to go.

For instance, making the base color lighter or darker is a change in value not hue (although hue also has value).

If you really want a more yellow hue (more yellow saturation) of the Dark Yellow, then you should start with adding a more "pure" yellow to it. That's the only way to make it "yellower."

Be aware that the yellow you select as an additive could also change the hue or value of the Dark Yellow in other ways, too. For instance, a "gold" or "signal" yellow, usually has some red in it to make it darker (see what Bob said about adding red) or a "brighter" "lemon" yellow might have a significant about of white, etc.

I recommend that next time you're in a large book store or one of the big-box craft supply stores that you pick up an inexpensive color wheel. A color wheel is a tool that every painter, beginner to master, should have on his bench.

HTH,
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 02:44 AM UTC
This is the color I achieved by mixing Dark Yellow with Yellow Green:

Chrisk-K
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 06:39 AM UTC
I have Tamiya Yellow Green. I don't know when I bought it. Anyway, I mixed it with Dark Yellow and the result is very close to my own ideal Dark Yellow! I just need to experiment with the mix ratio.
Chrisk-K
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 08:34 AM UTC
I experimented more. AFAIC, 2 parts Dark Yellow, 1 part Deck Tan and 1 part Yellow Green give me an excellent result. It looks light but after spraying Future it just looks like that dark yellow of Tamiya box art. Very happy with the result!
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 01:27 PM UTC
Hi Chris... I mix about even ammounts of XF 60 and XF 59,.. Then lighten with deck tan.

Rick
 _GOTOTOP