_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Campaigns
Group builds and online competetions. Join the fun!
Hosted by Darren Baker
Cover Up - update 2
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 714 posts
Armorama: 360 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 03:48 PM UTC
The walls are finished. The sandbags done and weathered. The model itself is completed and the floor is done. Next comes the surrounding features and the figures. The last part will be the debris.

I used a new technique on the cork bricks that will definately find its way into an article. The turned out great.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 06:37 PM UTC
Hi Mike its nice to see progress!!! I like the floor making and would like to hear a lil more about it. I also wanted to say that the sandbags are made very nicely though i thing the seem all very similiar and tide and fluffy, while in a war condition they must have suffered from hand to hand and be more sagy .But if you tried to make them all the same you ve done it remarkably well!!! as for their weathering the picture cannot show it very well (maybe is my eyes) and they tend to look a lil glossy. Maybe in a nother photshoot they look better and show the work you have done. Further more , with the debris and other stuff i bet you ll add, i d try to "break" the square shape of the plan so it wouldnt look very normal and tide and ordered.
Hope i gave a lil help, and i am looking forward your next pictures with progress. AAhhh the AA gun is nice also
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 754 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 01:53 AM UTC
Hin Mike

Its a great looking piece, a well thought out idea, and very good work. The only thing I would do would be weather the gun a little more. Maybe add some kill markings to the sheild, and or add a camo net over the shield. I look forward to seeing the completed piece.

Wolfsix
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 714 posts
Armorama: 360 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 04:34 AM UTC
Thanks for the kind comments.

The weathering on the sandbags didn't show up as well as I would have liked, but it's there. In looking at the photos again, I have to give the bags another shot of dullcote. I ran out last night! The floor is cork cut into squares with the top edges distressed a little. These "tiles" are then glued to a cardboard substrate and the joints are "grouted" with drywall compound (spackle, polyfilla etc). The joints are given a good brushing with a stiff toothbrush once dry. The completed floor is then painted with craft paint and drybrushed with a selection of browns and black.

There will be a lot of brick debris around the sides of the square, so that should break up the outline some. I will be cutting some brass rod into shell casings, and I have some "empty" magazines that will be left on the ground. I still have to weather the gun.

Harry, what kind of kill markings did you have in mind? I was thinking that UK flags would be too small at that scale, perhaps roundels? I do have a cam net but I am loathe to use it as it would hide the model.
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 471 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 05:32 AM UTC
Looking good Mike, thanks for the tips on using the sculpey. A guy should be able to make all sorts of interesting little accessories with it. As for the "kill" markings, would they maybe use the Luftwaffe style of single lines etc, like the ac had on their tails? Just a thought.
Bus
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 846 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 11:31 AM UTC
nice work! you could make tiny bullets with streched sprue to bring more realism to the scene!
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 11:45 AM UTC
The progress is good, I like the work you're doing.
My comment is - I'd reposition the gun to more centrally locate it. Nothing other than my own thought process behind the idea. So if you have reference or like it great. My thinking is that if I were a crew I'd like easy access all the way around my gun if I could get it, for cleaning and or repair etc.
 _GOTOTOP