Hosted by Darren Baker
M-88 track
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 10:10 PM UTC
I started the "Nam version of the M-88 from AFV. Wonderful kit, however not too thrilled about putting track together using end connectors. Tried a search in 3 different Model distributers catalogs and came up nada under M-88 (or M88) . Looking for a great set of rubber-band track. Who makes a set and waht company sells them?
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 10:21 PM UTC
Blaster,
The only other kit I have seen with that type of track is the Tamiya M48 Patton. I believe they would be too short for the M88. You might want to see if someone has an extra pair of those and see if they fit.
Wait, I think AFV's Modern M88 kit came with both rubber band and workable tracks. I might be mistaken. I had both kits and I cant remember if they do or not. All my parts are in storage and if they did have both, I would have to check there.
There are a couple of other guys here building these M88 kits. Some one will chime in here shortly!!!! Sorry I coulndt help you right away.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 10:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I started the "Nam version of the M-88 from AFV. Wonderful kit, however not too thrilled about putting track together using end connectors. Tried a search in 3 different Model distributers catalogs and came up nada under M-88 (or M88) . Looking for a great set of rubber-band track. Who makes a set and waht company sells them?

I think no-one sells single piece rubber-band tracks for this model, but I have M88 AFV Club kit in "non Vietnam" version and it came with rubber tracks. So if you are interested I would be more then happy to exchange my rubber tracks for your individual link plastic tracks. I can send my tracks to you - it is not a problem (you will have it after a week if I send it as priority mail, as I always do), but I don't know if you would be willing to do the same - I live in Poland, so the airmail postage cost would be probably about $10. Let me know in private message if you are interested.

Rgds,
Pawel
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 10:26 PM UTC
Thanks Pawel for comfirming this.
This means I should have the tracks still in my parts box. I built both AFV kits and both have the workable tracks on them, so I have to still have the rubber band ones somewhere.
Dont wnat to still your thunder Pawel, but since i live here in Texas too along with Blaster, It would probably be easier for him to get them from me,IF I STILL HAVE THEM!!!!!

You choice Blaster, but it would take me a few days to get to my storage and look to see if I still have them.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 10:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This means I should have the tracks still in my parts box. I built both AFV kits and both have the workable tracks on them, so I have to still have the rubber band ones somewhere.

Strange thing is that AFV Club must have changed the contents of their M88 kit boxes. Originally indeed Vietnam version came with both types of tracks and modern version came with rubber tracks only. But recently rubber tracks are no longer added to Vietnam M88s, so modelers no longer have a choice.

Blaster can of course choose to get rubber tracks from you, but I would still love to get those plastic ones I have one separately purchased set for my M88, but I have another project where I would like to use another set (M60 slick). But of course I don't expect anyone to give me such present (even though it is a good time for giving presents :-) ).

Rgds,
Pawel
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 10:47 PM UTC
You have first dibs Pawel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If blaster wants them. I might not even still have them.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 11:02 PM UTC
My Vietnam M88 AFV kit has only the link by link tracks in. They stealed from me or what ? i purchased it 4 weeks ago. Any way is a nice kit with lots of parts and nice detail. Do any one has any pics of it the real thing to post over here so i make a good start ?
thanks
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 11:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My Vietnam M88 AFV kit has only the link by link tracks in. They stealed from me or what ? i purchased it 4 weeks ago. Any way is a nice kit with lots of parts and nice detail. Do any one has any pics of it the real thing to post over here so i make a good start ?
thanks

As I wrote before - AFV Club changed the contents of this kit. Originally, a few years ago, it came with both types of tracks, but later only with indi ones...

Here are some photos of the M88A1:
http://community.webshots.com/album/33671204lhelKR
http://tanxheaven.com/m88a1/m88a1pic.htm

Rgds,
Pawel
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 07:14 AM UTC
Pete if you still have them, I'll gladly take them. Pawel, unfortuneatly the cost of shipping is just too much for me right now, I would have gladly traded. I can make the tracks if I want to, it's just a lot of work for something that there is only slight improvement on. Oh, the M-48 tracks are way to short.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 09:30 AM UTC
Blaster,
No problem. I will try and get to my Grandfathers where my stuff is stored this weekend. I will PM you by the end of this week and let you know the outcome!!!!!
m75
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 11:14 AM UTC
Blaster, I agree about the amount of work that goes into those AFV tracks, but the level of detail it added to my M88 was ultimately worth the time. I ended up just working 7-8 blocks at a time, lining up the end connector sprue next to the blocks, pushing them onto the connectors and slicing the connectors off the sprue. Time? Yeah, seems like a lot, still I enjoy the finished appearance over the single piece tracks. I kept those, by the way, for a rainy day!

Can anyone recommend a workable tow bar for the M60/M88 series? I have an M123A1C that wants to drag a crippled M113.

Jim Peterson
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 05:25 PM UTC
Jim,
Legand Productions M1 and M60 accessory sets both have a tow bar in them thats all seperate. Check out Squadrons web sight to see if they have them in stock. If not, check out Legends sight to see what they look like. They have a lot of usefull stuff in the sets.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 09:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Pawel, unfortuneatly the cost of shipping is just too much for me right now, I would have gladly traded.

No problem, I knew it was a long shot And in case Pete cannot find his tracks, just let me know - I can send you my rubber tracks anyway, as I will not use them in any case. The shipping cost from Poland to US is very low and not a problem for me at all.

Rgds,
Pawel
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2003 - 07:29 AM UTC
Thanks guys, I'll gladly take those rubberband tracks...I might give those individual links a shot, Question is, with the time involved to make them the glue would start drying, how do you build the sections long enough to wrap around sprockets and return rollers? Building 7-8 link sections and then trying to attach them to each other on the model I would think would be a recipe for a disaster at least for me.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2003 - 07:43 AM UTC
https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/127
m75
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2003 - 12:58 PM UTC
I might have missed Matt's intent with that last reference. Blaster, the AFV blocks are merely placed next to each other on a flat surface, as if they were assembled. The sprue with the end connectors is then placed next to the aforementioned blocks. The connectors are spaced on the sprue so that they exactly match the pins on the blocks; the connector sprue is pushed onto the block pins and the connectors seat onto the pins. Once pushed onto the pins, the connectors are simply sliced off the sprue, resulting in a stretch of assembled track blocks.

Assemble several of those stretches, then use seperate connectors to connect each stretch, resulting in a completed track, ready to assemble onto your kit.

You DO NOT have to use glue with these tracks!! The friction of the connectors holds everything together until final assembly. If you want to, you can cement the completed assembly after final placement, if there is a concern about connectors coming loose.

The M88 tracks were assembled two years ago, and are still hanging in there without cement.

Give them a try!

Jim Peterson
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2003 - 01:39 PM UTC
Thanks Jim. I took 4 of them and glued them and it wasn't as difficult as I thought. Then I took what you told me and relooked at the diagram on the instructios finally made sense. Yeah, it isn't so hard..at least by apperances and looks like final assembly might go togetherfairly easy. Well, if I can get a set of rubberband ones for backup in case this flops, I'll feel a whole lot better, but I think I'll try the individual ones out.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 10:40 AM UTC
Blaster,
I am about 90% sure I have those tracks in storage. But from what you said after trying the individual tracks, would it be ok to hold off going and getting them for you.
M75 is right on how sturdy they are. I am not going to lie, I did have a couple of the pins brake, but some super glu fixed that problem and it was only like 3 or 4 tracks that had one pin brack. I have put together 2 sets of the M88, 4 sets of the M1A1, and 1 set of the Challenger 2 tracks and after time it gets easier, I can sit down and pit on complete track together in about 1 hour.
Let me know if you want to wait or if you would still like them right away?????
 _GOTOTOP