_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Cheap, portable booth in the UK?
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 06:19 AM UTC
I'm looking into finally getting back to using an airbrush. (I've been living all over the world, so some stuff is still in the US, some in Central Europe, and some in the UK...)

I just got a compressor/airbrush combo on ebay, and I'm looking for a cheap, portable paintbooth to go with it. In the US I built one, but I had to leave it there (as it was bulky); so I'd like to go with a professional option.

Where would you think the best option would be? Ebay has a couple, but I was hoping someone might be able to point me to one for less than 50 quid. (I know. Keep dreaming.)

Thank you
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 06:46 AM UTC
I have seen one online built of foam board, duct tape and a couple of surplus large computer fans with dryer hose to vent the paint spray air to the outdoors.

It was very workable and completely throw-away!
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 11:49 PM UTC
This one from Expo Tools is very handy:

http://www.expotools.com/acatalog/Portable-Spray-Booth-AB500.html

Just do a google search for it- there are a few places in the UK that sell it- E-Models for example. It is more than 50 quid though.

Folds up well and the filter is easily replaceable- you can get a long hose for it too that can be draped out a window for better ventilation.
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 - 03:32 AM UTC
Dear Karl,

Yeah, that's the one I found, too... I was hoping for some other alternative

Michael,
I live in a small room right now, so I can't have a dedicated space for modeling -which means I need something that I can put away easily.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 - 01:09 PM UTC
Well you could hinge the sides and top with tape so you could fold it almost flat for storage.

Check out this YouTube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE2RFuZ9Dmw

p.s. I have a bathroom with a good vent fan. I take two good size model box bottoms, set them up in an "L" arrangement and paint using them as a backstop. I paint in short bursts and leave the room frequently to let the air clear.

Hey, it works!
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 05:34 AM UTC
Yeah, it's an excellent idea. (I don't mean to be overly negative; but I AM living in a hostel right now -my research institute's-, and no tools, no space; and the possibility of frequent moves -maybe to a different country, even- make me want to get something that I can store easy... But thank you.)

Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 07:24 AM UTC
Hi, have a look on a site called Monster Doodles they have a compact air brush booth for £59.99 might be worth a look.
Anto992
Visit this Community
Ireland
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 212 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 07:37 AM UTC
Hi Andras,

Beware of home made extractors as ordinary exteactor fans have an electrical spark at the motor that is not insulated from the fumes and if you are using flammable types of paint the spark might ignite it....

Anto
 _GOTOTOP