_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Buildings & Ruins
Ruined buildings and city scenes.
Hosted by Darren Baker
what colour and type of camo do i paint......
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 431 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 10:10 PM UTC
hi all, well as in the post ( attention all modelors) i am going to need help on this dio, i am going to have it in normandy, it a german out post that the germans have situated among an old farm village ruins, i am going to have a german machine gun bunker, with sandbags,
and theres going to be a road going aside it with a german aa wirble wind tank. , my questions is, what patterna and colour do i paint this for berlin when the britich counter bombed berlin

thnx all
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 01:50 AM UTC
I've got some references at home that I can share later today (tomorrow for you )...

Question - is the setting Normandy or Berlin?
alpha-1-7-0
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: -2 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 03:08 AM UTC
hey matttomlin

is the wirbelwind you are doing the academy one lol? im in the process of completing this kit and have some pics too (cheers to scott (:-) ) if i can be of any help let me know.

:-) alpha
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 03:31 AM UTC
#:-) lol #:-) Hope the build goes well.
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 12:18 PM UTC
hi, thnx guys for assitince, ...slodder, yeah sorry i did have it originnaly normandy but a friend of mine siad that they didnt have wirblewinds when germany occupeid normandy so i am going to have it in berlin, the country/farm area .
i just want to know what type of camo, i paint, like the actually pattern, and colour for this area in berlin. also, its tamiya, not academy, but thnx anyway

thnc all

matt
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 01:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

a friend of mine siad that they didnt have wirblewinds when germany occupeid normandy
matt

I can't definitivel;y say there were or weren't Wirblewinds in Normandy however, the Hitoires & Collections book on World War Two tanks features a Wirblewind form France 1944 with the comment that "every heavy tank battalion had one" and Squadron's D-Day to Berlin also features this, but with out indication of specific time or place. For what it's with, the authors of Call of Duty, the PC game, place several of these in the opening stages of the game in NOrmandy.
From http://www.eliteforces.freewire.co.uk/Waffen%20SS%20Text+Images/ANTI-AIRCRAFT%20WEAPONS.htm " TARGET="_blank"> http://www.eliteforces.freewire.co.uk/Waffen%20SS%20Text+Images/ANTI-AIRCRAFT%20WEAPONS.htm :
"2 cm Flakveirling
In 1940 four 2 cm (20 mm) Model 38 antiaircraft guns were mounted together on one carriage to create the 2 cm Flakvierling 38, thereby nearly quadrupling the rate of fire. This carriage consisted of a swivel attached to a triangular base on which was mounted the rotating upper chassis. The weapon, which weighed 1,509 kg (3,320 lb.), was moved on a special two-wheeled trailer, but it could also be positioned on vehicles or buildings. This gun first saw action in late 1943 mounted on the chassis of the Panzer IV to form the self-propelled weapons "Möbelwagen" and "Wirbelwind."..."

It would be reasonable to think these were in Normandy. If so, colors would be dark yellow (dunkelgelb) base with brown and green patterns applied in the field as seen fit by the crew of unit commander.

MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 10:04 PM UTC
hi all, ajlafleche , thnakyou so much, ou have been a great help, thankyou, that helped alot.

but unfotunatly i want thi dio to be 100 % real and i need certain confirmation on whether the wirblewind was used in the normandy invasion as deffence, otherwise i will have it in germany against russia, however i would deffinitly have this in normandy

please all, i need you help on this, thankyou
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 11:19 PM UTC
Matt - I PM'ed you with a big list of web links that may help out - have you seen that yet?

These guys aren't that well known or well photographed so its kinda tough. I'll keep you in mind as I research things and update you.
 _GOTOTOP