_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Tamiya Paint mix
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 561 posts
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 - 01:27 AM UTC
Hi guys

I'm doing an African Tiger, it's early stages but I like to have things planned out and in a first for me I'm trying to get things as accurate as I can.

I'm planning light hairspray chipping, so my paint of choice is Tamiya. The question is, has anyone got a paint mix for RAL 7008 using Tamiya colours? It's the green tint Africa colour.

Many thanks

Andy
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 - 01:57 AM UTC
Khaki(xf-49) : Buff(xf-57) or Wood Grain(xf-78)
10:1
There are slight variations in hue, concerning RAL7008. You must also remember that the paint would weather to create slight color shifts. Hopefully, somebody else can determine the exact shade it was, when applied in North Africa.
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 - 06:18 AM UTC
Top banana Matt.

do you also have a recipe for Dak RAL8000.

Thanks
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 - 06:35 AM UTC
You should try experimenting to find the exact color you want. That is what I was trying to explain. I know that you want to stick with Tamiya, but I recommend venturing into other paints(Vallejo, MM acrylic or enamel, and PollyS/Floquil). They may not stand up to Tamiya, but they do cover a wider range without having to mix them. I currently spray Tamiya acryl, MM enamel and acrylic, and PollyS/Floquil. The best results I have had with an alcohol based paint is PollyS/Floquil. Running them through a .2-.35 tip, I have not needed to thin them. In fact, I find the even application suffers if I do. Vallejo and MM are an excellent line for WWII German colors.
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 - 09:10 AM UTC
Thanks Matt

Problem is in my sleepy 'ol town the only thing available is Tamiya. When I first started out I went with Vallejo, but it soon got to be a chore ordering mail order every time I needed some dark yellow or german gray. Besides I quite like hairspray chipping, so it doesn't get much better than Tamiya

Tamiya paints are good, but I have to admit to being a little jealous when I see some of the ranges available from other manufacturers. There's some excellent choice out there, but I think a lot of it is a little over the top... do I really need that new AK Early 1950's Albanian Women's Auxiliary Refuse Collection Modulation Set?

Petro
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 984 posts
Armorama: 846 posts
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 - 11:45 AM UTC
I just started using Vallejo paints. While i do like their brush-ability, i just do not think (my opinion)they are durable at all.
Chrisk-K
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 294 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 02:47 AM UTC
Vallejo paints are not durable at all in my experience. In contrast, Tamiya paints are highly durable.
 _GOTOTOP