_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Wash Interfering with Gloss coat?
slickleg
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 51 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 01:26 AM UTC
HI guys.

I seem to be having an issue with my wash. I have applied a coat of Humbrol clear gloss. But now when I try to apply my wash(Mineral turps and oil paint) It seems to agitate the gloss coat underneath. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

My thanks.
Quasimofo
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 105 posts
Armorama: 87 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 02:47 AM UTC
Hi Jonathan-

Is your clear gloss coat enamel or acrylic? If it's an enamel, that is the problem. You want to use an acrylic clear coat if you're going to be using a solvent based wash. Using an enamel wash over an enamel clear coat generally results in bad things happening. The acrylic coat will act as a barrier to a solvent based wash.

You didn't specify what sort of base the Humbrol clear coat was, but from the problem you described it sounds as if it was an enamel and the solvent in your wash is reacting with and lifting it.
slickleg
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 03:59 AM UTC
Thanks Bill, The gloss coat is enamel based. What do you think I can make a wash with instead?
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 04:17 AM UTC
Vallejo has Acrylic washes you could try.[ water based]- I just started using them & like them.
slickleg
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 07:16 AM UTC
Thanks David, Unfortunately I cant seem to find Vallejo locally.
Quasimofo
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 105 posts
Armorama: 87 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2014 - 03:01 AM UTC
Besides an acrylic wash as David suggested, you might try using an acrylic clear coat to act as a barrier between the base coat of your paint and your wash. With an acrylic clear coat, you can use the same solvent base washes you have been using without the wash reacting to the clear coat since they are of different bases. The short if it is, enamel over acrylic is OK. I have great results using Tamiya X-22 clear with few drops of their flat base added to get a satin finish.

slickleg
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2014 - 09:31 PM UTC
Thanks guys, I found an old bottle of Vallejo gloss that I will use to finish up the model.

Cheers
 _GOTOTOP