_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
paint brands
slotcar25
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 05:07 AM UTC
I have been using testor's paint. But it takes days to dry before i can touch the model. Does anyone know why? What is the best paints to use?
BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
Armorama: 994 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 05:27 AM UTC
Oren,

Welcome! I've used Testor paints for years and not really had any drying issues with them, I hand paint my kits. Are you using an airbrush?
Temp. of the room may have something to do with the paint not drying also.

See ya in the funnies.......
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 05:28 AM UTC
This is a very open ended question. Overall, Citadel/GW paints are the best. They are also expensive. For airbrushing, go with Tamiya acryls. If you want a larger selection, you can try MM acrylics. When it comes to hand painting, I prefer MM enamels and PollyS/Floquil lacquers. The two lacquers can be airbrushed, straight from the bottle. They do take longer to cure. Something like three days. However, they do provide a very smooth and even coat. I have yet to try Vallejo, True Earth, or Italeri.
stoney
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 480 posts
Armorama: 399 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 05:46 AM UTC
Oren, I tend to use a two paint system, Tamiya thinned with laquer thinner for the airbrush and Vallejo for hand brushing, I use Windsor and Newton oils for weathering (3 paint system I guess?) and besides the oils taking a bit of time to setup, everything dries up nicely and works well together. If you're having troubles with drying time I'd highly recommend switching to acrylics, at lest for your base coats.
Best of luck!
Eric.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 05:01 AM UTC
Vallejo, best paint out there IMHO, barely a color you can't find, simply easy to work with.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 08:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Vallejo, best paint out there IMHO, barely a color you can't find, simply easy to work with.

I don't find the color I'm looking for in one bottle. Painted everything from OD to Sandgelb to Schwartz Grau. They have all required a mixture of paint.
mandovillarr
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 08:45 AM UTC
If you paint when the humidity is high, you will definitely have this issue. I find that enamels tend to be less forgiving than acrylic when the air in your space is humid. My advice? Wait for a dry day....and shoot a light coat of flat clear coat or a very thin coat of your base color.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 11:21 AM UTC
I bought a few bottles of testors years ago to try them. Two great colours ... rubber and rust. Neither dried properly and were still tacky after several days. I have sprayed with Tamiya acrylics (thinned with ethanol, isoproponol and lacquer thinners) and Humbrol enamels many, many times before and after, and never had this problem. Never made any more attempts after this. I have sprayed Vallejo air diluted with water. Its OK but dries on the needle too much. Its hard to beat tamiya for all round spraying. Its easy to clean as well.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 12:06 PM UTC
I find Tamyia the best for spraying,Vallejo for hand brushing if i spray vallejo I add a drop of their retarder to the mix and that stop it drying on the tip.Never used Testors but Ive read elswhere of drying problems
 _GOTOTOP