_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
What is the T-80BVD Trumpeter annonced?
Violetrock
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2014 - 06:51 AM UTC
Hello all,

Trumpeter announced a T-80BVD version (#05881) in their latest catalogue. What is this version, I never heard of it before.
Any pictures available of this vehicle in case it exsists?

Thanks

Thomas
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2014 - 08:03 AM UTC
I saw an earlier posting on here that it had an upgraded T-64 engine in it as an export option

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2014 - 03:11 PM UTC
T-80BVD: Ukraine had a fair number of T-80BV after the breakup of the Soviet Union. Ukraine also had a VERY strained relationship with Russia over military equipment, contract, and parts supplies. So Ukraine was either going to have to make replacement parts on their own for the T-80BV, scrap them, or upgrade them. Kharkov (the tank production plant in Ukraine) hated the gas-guzzling turbine engines and had ALWAYS pushed for diesel engines in the T-80 series (remember the T-80UD). So they decided to upgrade the T-80BV's with the diesel engine they were putting in their own T-64 upgrades. The T-80BVD also received the Remotely Operated Commanders Weapons Station. Other upgrades (mostly internal or optics) were up to the buyer. To my best knowledge, none have been sold. Also, I do not know how many were modified.

I also have this from Dirk Caemerlynck from back in 2008: "In 2002, Ukraine started to refit its T-80BV's with diesel engine 6TD-1 (T-80BVD). This version also has the RCWS of the T-80UD. These modifications make it look very much like an "early T-80UD" but it retains the Kobra system. Also, whereas the T-80BV/BVD have smoke grenade launchers either side of the turret, the early T-80UD and Ob.219A (with K-1) have them only on the left side."

Violetrock
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 08:27 AM UTC
Thanks for all the information! i think I will pass...

Thomas
 _GOTOTOP