_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Modelkasten tracks for a T34
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 05:43 AM UTC
I have just gotten a set of Modelkasten tracks from GreatModels.com for my T34. When I opened the box I went into a shock...The tracks were plastic! Yup, yup, I am probably a moron and did not read the description of the tracks correctly. I actually wanted to get metal tracks ( probably should have gotten Fruilmodel, ha?). Nevertheless, now that I have gotten over the initial shock I have a few of questions.

1. Are these tracks supposed to be workable?
2. If question 1 is true then how are the tiny pins supposed to be glued into place without making the tracks non-workable?
3. What is the best glue to be used? Is regular model glue Ok?
4. Will these tracks produce a realistic sag?
Aitch
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 138 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 07:36 AM UTC
Don't worry - you've got some good tracks there. But... Model Kasten tracks are a bit fiddly to build. You build up short lengths - about five links or so. There are tiny pins that 'click' into holes in the sides of the shoes - Then you end up with a little centipede. I usually snip off the long bit with side cutters and put a spot of Liquid Poly on a brush to the pin location. As the pin fits into one part of the shoe it can be glued, making a hinge to hold the other shoe in place. They are workable, but won't stand up to too much rough handling. They will sag, but not as much as metal tracks - I always glue the top and bottom runs to the road wheels.
They do look good when done and being plastic will weather down with your normal techniques - nothing extra is needed.
Just remember (If you dont already know) that Russian tracks were manganese steel so the base colour is chocolate brown, and the road side would polish to bright steel. Come to think of it so would the wheel side too where the wheels rub. #:-) Lots of dirt in the crevices of course.
One thing to remember is that Russian track pins went in from the inside so there would be either holes, or mud showing to the outside, not protruding track pins.
Pnzr-Cmdr
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 483 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 08:32 AM UTC
i used MK tracks on my T-34/85

They weren't THAT bad.. they look great but i'd preobably never use MK again.. they are fine building.. actually goes by quite quickly if you have music or a good movie on in the background lol.. but come time to paint.. it's a pain. The main base coat is fine but the washes and drybrushing can tug on them a little.. resulting in a broken track.

Then once you paint and weather.. it's time to put them on the tank. now there's another challenge.. i found it was best to get them together to whole run.. take one end and an idler wheel and fix one end around the idler. then take the other end and fix it to the sprocket that is still on the tank then GENTLY settle the tracks into the roadwheels and set in the idler back into place.. took me a few times and a few broken links to achieve this lol..

if you want AM tracks.. get Friuls.. much better. although dragon kit tracks are great.. i prefer the AM route hehe
russ
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 432 posts
Armorama: 359 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 12:31 PM UTC
Hi Marty, I used modelkasten tracks on a Steyr RSO and they look great.
They were a bit fiddly to make up but nothing over the top and didin't take long to do at all using normal model glue. They are completly workable and sag realisticly so I don't think you will have any problems with them and would be happy with the finish if you choose to use them.

Russ

Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2003 - 12:26 AM UTC
Thanks guys. I will give these tracks a try in a little while. This will be my first time building these type of tracks so I am actually looking forward to it.
warhog
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 398 posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2003 - 01:14 AM UTC
model kasten tracks are excellent,there just a pain in the butt to work with!!!!I dont know how many times i kick my self for using them but after i finish a model with them it looks great.never worked with fruil track whats the word on them?larry
SteveG
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2004 - 08:50 PM UTC
I've used Model Kasten on my KVs, three Type 97s and almost all of my T-34's. A little twitchy I'll admit but like everyone has said, no pain, no gain
 _GOTOTOP