_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
More M41 bulldog help
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2002 - 05:10 PM UTC
Me again. Some poeple are probably getting tired of me asking questions all the time, I am sorry about that. I have tried to do as much research as I can on this, and usually do, before I ask. The walkthrough book and the directions arn't clear on this so I need some help. In front of the loaders hatch there is something that looks like a periscope. Most of the pictures I have show a wire cage around it but whats under the wire cage is the problem. In some pictures it seems like there is nothing there while in others it looks like a periscope with about a 45 degree slope in the back of it. Like I said I have tried to figure this out but have come up without anything conclusive. I would be greatful if someone could help me out on this.

On another note, I am begining to really love allied armor from WWII through the M60. I don't know why but this stuff is really growning on me. Most of my desire has been fucused on modern armor but this other stuff is just fun to build and really cool stuff. I think I have stayed away from it because of such a lack on knowlege so be warned that in the future if I can't figure something out I will be heading here for an answer. Thanks again all
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2002 - 08:58 PM UTC
The Tamiya kit omits the periscope guard (the "wire cage"). This is becasue the kit was designed as a motorized toy and the little breakable parts are simplified (molded on) or left off.

Periscopes on tanks are much like periscopes on subs (refrain from making silly comments), they can raise or lower. A loader's periscope is usually just a simple set of mirrors, pop it up to see out. It is usually stored in the down position. This is because a tank normally operates with the hatches open until contact is made. Driver's periscopes are usually removeable and spares are carried in case one is damaged by ground fire.

A commander's cupola normally has vision blocks. These are very thick ballistic windows, the glass resembles the bullet proof glass from older bank teller windows. On some vehicles like the M60A1/A3 or the M41 (among others), the vision blocks are direct vision, that is they are basically very thick windows. On some tanks, they are periscopes (like the M1).
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2002 - 07:58 AM UTC
Thanks for the information. So I should probably put the wire cage on if nothing else and then decide if I want to add the periscope up or not. I will probably just add the wire cage since I don't have enough refference for the periscope.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2002 - 08:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Periscopes on tanks are much like periscopes on subs (refrain from making silly comments), they can raise or lower. A loader's periscope is usually just a simple set of mirrors, pop it up to see out. It is usually stored in the down position. .

I can't help myself { Periscope Depth Sir}

Aye Aye Capt
 _GOTOTOP