_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Anyone use Trumps workable PT-76 tracks?
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 05:32 AM UTC
I've been working on Trumps 1951 PT-76. I decided to replace the kit tracks because they are garbage. I went with the cheapest option, Trumps workable set #02047. The box gives you 180 tracks, with corresponding guide horns, calling for 84 tracks per side. Here's the problem, 84 isn't even close to being long enough to finish one side. It's more like 96 per side, according to the kit rubber band tracks, the dry fit I did and 1:1 scale real PT-76's. For those that aren't math inclined such as myself, 96+96=192,that's 12 more than come in the box. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything here before I go out and by another set or something. Plus I kind of wanted to vent, all those guide horns make you loopy.

Erik
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 01:38 PM UTC
I think you are right. There should be 96 links per side, SFAIR. You will need a second box of tracks.
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 - 03:49 AM UTC
I wonder how this error slipped by Trump? Funny that they get it right for their rubber band tracks and not the workable set. Strange that I haven't seen anyone else online mention this issue either. Guess it's time to order another set...

Erik
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 - 05:57 AM UTC
I saw 2 reviews online. 1 mentioned nothing about the number of links. The other thought there were only 84 links per side on the real vehicle. Review quality on the 'net is sporadic.
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 - 08:04 AM UTC
I have the same set in my stash. I was going to use them on my BTR-50 build, but did not like the quality of the tracks. I had too many issues with the pin used to click each link together, they smashed too the point were the tracks did not work right. Not to mention having to glue all the guide horns on. So I never got that far into the build to notice the short number of tracks in the kit.
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 - 12:38 PM UTC
I've decided to make do and make the kit tracks work. I really don't want to shell out another $30 on another set just to use 12 of the tracks. Trumpeter, if you're reading this, learn to count next time please.

Erik
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 344 posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 - 01:05 PM UTC
Just wonderful. Why couldn't this post show up a month ago . I picked up a set of tracks from one of Squadron's many sales for my PT-76 hanging in my stash...

No Cheers

DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 - 01:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just wonderful. Why couldn't this post show up a month ago . I picked up a set of tracks from one of Squadron's many sales for my PT-76 hanging in my stash...

No Cheers

Sorry, they would have been done last month but the guide horns took me forever haha.

Erik
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 - 01:15 PM UTC
if anybody wants, I can make a deal to get rid of the set I have. I built maybe 6-8 tracks out of the set. Let me know if your interested.
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 - 01:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

if anybody wants, I can make a deal to get rid of the set I have. I built maybe 6-8 tracks out of the set. Let me know if your interested.

I was just going to suggest that but you posted faster then me. I was going to offer if Erik picked up another set, I would pay for half if he sent me half. I thought maybe get one more and get a 3rd of the tracks. But I like your offer better.

So PM me with an offer for say 30 tracks with guide horns + shipping. I figured I may need some extra ones because I know I will loose one, break one, and give one away.

My paypal is locked and loaded

Cheers
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 - 02:17 PM UTC
Hi Everybody;

Well I was not going too give my worthless advice on the PT-76 by Trumpeter, but I just could not stand it anymore. This was NOT A GOOD KIT, the tracks and the suspension were *^#@ !!!! I was Happy when they released the kits, but I could not quite figure why they needed too make three versions, now some of the features were nice but overall the Eastern Express was in my mind A better kit. When I purchased the EE kits I also purchased the very extensive PE sets for them, and there Builds were Far Superior too the Trump, kit. The PT-76 was one of the Better kits that EE Produced, when building the trumpeter kits I never could get the Running Gear too fit against the Hull. Finally I got so Fed-Up I just threw them back in there boxes and haven't touched them sense. !

CHEERS; MIKE.
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 - 04:03 PM UTC
Besides the workable track link torture, I had a lot of fun with the kit. No fit issues, but the rubber band tracks are garbage(poor detail, too tight). The suspension could be a pain, I agree, but it worked out for me.

Erik
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 - 09:32 PM UTC
Why don't you use 12 links from the rubber track instead of buying a full new set of workable links? If you put them where the track is in contact with the ground, it should do the trick.

Olivier
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 03:32 AM UTC
It wouldn't look right, the plastic links are so much better detailed than the rubber band links they would stick out like a sore thumb. I decided to just make the rubber bands work, and I set aside the workable links for a future project.

Erik
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 09:00 AM UTC
That sounds sensible.
Good luck for the next steps.

Olivier
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 10:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok so Erik looks like he is not interested in splitting your set with me. So if you are still willing to part with yours, send me a PM on what that will take $$ for you to get rid of the set.

Cheers
 _GOTOTOP