_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Hobby Craft T-72 options
Crottykid16
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 48 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 05:41 AM UTC
So, I got the kit a few years ago from a relative (he picked up on sale and gave it to me as a gift) I was younger at the time but did not really have time to start the kit, now that I am older with more time and other resource and wanting to get into a bit more serious modeling. I looked more into this kit and found out well its junk from a lot of peoples opinions on here. So I now have a question for what I should do, I was going to originally build it and paint it in a Soviet style (its the "Iraqi" version)So I new to the modding process for modeling, as well as heavy detailing and weathering. So my options I am considering, should I use it as practice and try to get it to look semi nice? Practice heavy modding on it? Or do I make it burnt out to go along with a diorama or something with a Tamiya M3 CFV or M1 Abrams in a "what if" situation in W. Germany, then look & buy a T-80BV and/or T-80U kit for my first real soviet armor kit?
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 07:57 AM UTC
I would use it as a learning opportunity. That kit will take a lot of work and money to make it "correct". I would experiment with it, try out a new painting or weathering technique, take extra care to eliminate seams using reference pictures, maybe even try your had at scratch building simple details like grab handles or electric wiring. Just have fun with it, and be sure to post pics here when you're done.

Erik
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 08:34 AM UTC
I agree. Use it as a practice model. I am still using the old Lindberg Sd.Kfz. 222 for practice.
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 09:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am still using the old Lindberg Sd.Kfz. 222 for practice.

Awesome! That was my very FIRST afv kit waaayy back in the 70s. My Dad entered me and my brother into the model of the month club that Lindberg used to have.

Eric, I would practice on it, give it away to another young modeller, or put in the driveway and run your car oiver it about 10 times. Even the plastic styrene is horrible in that kit...

Chris
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 01:09 PM UTC
It is essentially the Tamiya kit re-done, with cheaper options (sticker decals instead of PE for grilles, etc...)

If you want to make a better kit from it, first, you need SP Designs Final Drive housing for it. Period. http://saammodels.tripod.com/t-72.html

Second, you need new tracks. I like Trumpeters T-72 Track links kit 02050, they are good. Someone might trade you the tracks out of one of Trumpeters new T-72 kits for cheap too.

After this, it becomes a matter of what you want to do with the kit...Soviet? Iraqi? Or a variant? From there, you can do a lot. The kit is not a loss by a long shot, but it is pretty lousy OOB.
Crottykid16
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 48 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 01:57 PM UTC
Probably going for a Soviet build to go with a collection trying to start of 1980's Cold war era AFV's based in a German theater of conflict (NATO I only have (all Tamiya) M1,M3 CFV, & LVTP7A1). So far this (T-72) is the only Soviet vehicle I own. Looking at getting a BMP-2, T-80BV and a T-80U though. So going with a simple soviet build here. Might try for a winter variant camo (inspiration off pictures from reforge on NATO and see what would be on the other side of the Gap. Anyway a little off topic but going for a Soviet T-72 more then likely, or a satellite variant (Polish, Czech, German ect.)
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 - 07:45 AM UTC
Well, then you might need to do a bit more work with this to get what you want ACCURATELY. If you are just looking for a fun build that is close enough, a lot of this is going to be too much.

Changes you need regardless:

1. PE set to replace engine grilles. Eduard makes a great set with just a few bare essentials, TP007.

2. New tracks, as discussed, with the Final Drive Housings from SP Designs.

Changes for accuracy:

3. The turret in the kit probably should be replaced. While it is representative of a T-72M, it is not the greatest. You could practice making it accurate yourself, it actually could be a fair amount of fun, or there are replacements on the market. Make sure to get an -A, -B, or -S turret for a Soviet tank.

4. Front glacis. You will most likely need to replace this with aftermarket. SP Designs and Miniarm both sell relacements. Make sure you get a front glacis that matches the turret.

5. Research...the fun part. Go to the How to model a T-72 thread to start.

I hope this is not too overwhelming, but it offers a glimpse of where to start.
 _GOTOTOP