_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
1980's US Winter/Arctic Figures?
Crottykid16
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 48 posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 - 12:28 PM UTC
So after trying to decide on what kit to start out of four that I have to start of cold war era vehicles. I decided probably for my first detailed one to go will be a USCM LVTP7A1, my idea is to set the model in Norway during the winter. This should be the easier part there are pictures to reference (Might as well name it the "cow" when in that camo scheme!) But my issue is now....the figures! I plan to get set up a small storming the icy beach and would like to have Marines in full cold-weather gear (over whites, bunny boots, thick coat ect.) coming out the back. I wouldn't mind trying to splice up and mix up some guys to achieve the look (was looking at BLACKDOG Falklands infantry but I would want most with the PASGT helmet and US ALICE/Web gear). I am semi new but I feel out of my other plans for the other model kit this would be the best starting Diorama/kit to build/project.

-Thanks Eric
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 02:27 AM UTC
How early in the '80's do you want to go? Also keep in mind that we were taught that you rarely wore full overwhites, I only wore them once or twice on ambushes. Generally we wore the bottoms and the OG wool shirt to blend into the treeline. There were also two colors of VB boots -- white for dry cold and black for wet cold, IIRC Norway was considered a dry cold climate (average air temp -20F during winter).
Crottykid16
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 04:20 AM UTC
85 - 89 is the time frame I was thinking. That is interesting though about the over whites, but makes sense. And I think you answered that question about the boots I was thinking lol. So even then not full Over-Whites huh? hmmm interesting.
Crottykid16
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 08:48 AM UTC
So swung by the local hobby lobby today, (sadly not much there in terms of kits!) But they do have plenty of painting supplies and had a few tubes of putty. So I picked up a very common set, at least for there I have seen them on the shelf for years! I plan to try to build them up a bit and sculpt with the putty to have them in cold weather gear. Any suggestions advice would be awesome! 1st time doing this. . . EVER! So bare with me on this. I used search function but not a lot of this kind of thing to talk about.

-Thanks Eric
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 - 07:06 AM UTC

Hi Eric,

If you plan to use putty for your conversions, don't forget the (really!) liquid plastic cement, preferably with a brush attached to the Screwtop(Tamiya f.ex.). This will enable you to work your putty and smooth it down way better and longer (before it dries up).

Cheers

Romain

Crottykid16
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 08:38 PM UTC
Reviving my thread here. Possibly needing winter gear in my next model (maybe do a reforger 87 theme. What would you guys think to do. The putty idea didn't get the result I really wanted....So what would be needed? Are there any figures that would fit or work here?
callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 08:45 PM UTC
I tried conversions with miliput and it was a nightmare. Then I had a go with magicsculp, it's so much easier to work with. I'm sure Ive seen a similar thread where the modeller used ww2 germans in winter suits as the base model, modified them to US styles and then added US webbing/gear. Maybe that might help.
 _GOTOTOP