Jeep and Kubelwagen tires
Major_Steuben
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 03:34 AM UTC
Jeep and Kubelwagen experts,
I have a question that has been rolling around in my head.
After reading "Deathtraps" and several after action records from logistics/maintenance groups from WW2, I was wondering if you could use kubelwagen (or any other tires from trailers etc) for jeeps if you were desperate for tires during the breakout in France. I can not figure out if the hubs are the same, rubber same diameter etc.

Thanks in advance.
Major_Steuben
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 04:25 AM UTC
here is some of the interesting reading
http://www.history.army.mil/books/wwii/Beachhd_Btlefrnt/ChapterXV.html#b

Quoted Text

Tires for trucks and jeeps were scarce all over the world. Any real help on the problem in the ETO had to await the output of French factories that were just getting into operation as 1944 ended. No production in quantity could be expected for several months—not until bomb-damaged plants were repaired and raw materials delivered. The men in Third Army and ADSEC rounded up spares, robbed 1-ton trailers and even 37-mm. gun carriages, and did their best to save repairable tires with the meager amount of tire repair equipment they had. Until January 1945 the theater had only one tire repair company, the 158th, with enough equipment to operate. The company was split into six teams: two teams were attached to First Army, two to Third Army, and two remained with ADSEC

_GOTOTOP