M10 ersatz diorama
Rhemz
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 11:20 PM UTC
hi fellow-builders,

It has been a while since i posted something on armorama, but here is my new project. I’m planning to build a diorama for mine m10 ersatz. It’s going to be scratchbuild from bluefoam.

The plan:
This is going to be the reference for my diorama.

It will be the one where the tank barrel is in the house.

The beginning:
I’m using 1,5 cm thick bluefoam. First i’m drawing the layout on the bluefoam.

Then cutting it out.

The end parts are being cut in an 45 degree angle.

By using a sharp razor and a metal strip, the bricks are being cut in the bluefoam. Afterwards a couple of bricks are being pushed in.

The interior.

The total exterior of the house.

Cutting it in the right angle. For the roofing i’m using Juweela rooftiles. I’m using 4 sets to cover the whole roof.

The basement.

Overall view of the cut.

Everything in primer black.

Spraying the rooftiles.

The m10 ersatz wasn’t correct with the first markings, so i gave it a new spray coat. It’s done with vallejo paints and i tried a little modulation.

Now it’s time for some painting. I’ve painted the bricks separately, so there is some variety of colours. I also made some windows and a door by using as a base the miniart items and then modified it to the right kind of window.

Painting the interior and putting on some wallpaper.

There is still a lot to do, like figures and vegetation. If you have any comments or questions feel free to comment.

Greetings,

Remco
hofpig
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Armorama: 1,017 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 12:47 AM UTC
Hi Remco,

Looking really good so far I can't wait to see how it ends up.
Paul
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 02:52 AM UTC
Really lookin good so far and building up nicely. I like that you included the celler.
Just to be clear for onlookers,the tank gun was driven into the wall by the Americans after the tank was knocked out/abandoned. This made for a much better photograph.
J
spartan01
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 244 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 03:02 AM UTC
Amazing where did you get the blue foam..... Amazing work and detail is that the Dragon kit???
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 03:35 AM UTC
Yeah, where'd you get that really thin blue foam? Did you use a table saw, or something? Just wondering, whatever happened to the original M10 Ersatz? Looks like it was captured in fairly good condition (only driven once, by a little old lady ), or was it just eventually destroyed? The first pic above looks like late spring or summer, 1945 (?).
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 04:09 AM UTC
Amazing build. I couldn't see buying any of that carve-able foam though, would be to worried about screwing up. Looking forward to seeing more.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 04:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah, where'd you get that really thin blue foam? Did you use a table saw, or something? Just wondering, whatever happened to the original M10 Ersatz? Looks like it was captured in fairly good condition (only driven once, by a little old lady ), or was it just eventually destroyed? The first pic above looks like late spring or summer, 1945 (?).

Hello,
As I stated above,the tank was knocked out/abandoned during Skorzenys' attempt at an attack in the malmedy/Stavelot area. His original mission had been scrubbed and his brigade was needed for a regular type ground assault to try to free up a route to Peipers surrounded group.
After the battle the tank was moved by the Americans and that is when the muzzle was run through the wall. It makes for a better photo op.
Most of the tank and armor wrecks in the northern part of the ardennes area were removed anywhere from late'45 all the way through several years later and sold for scrap. Lots of wheels and useful bits were removed right after the battle by industrious farmers,etc. Many a farm cart sported nice half track wheels soon after!!
There is even a gun barrel from a Panther that is being used as a run-off for a spring/well!
J
Rhemz
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 05:34 AM UTC
Hi!

Thanks for the comments. The thin bluefoam is from a guy who makes little trucks. They use it for the isolation of the walls.

This isn't the dragon kit, but a tamiya panther kit with MB models conversion. It's quite alright but some of the details aren't correct. It's ready for some weathering, i will update soon with some pictures.

The blufoam is cut by using a thermocutter. I'm using one from my work, so it is easy to cut. But you can also use a really sharp razor.

Greetings,

Remco
SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 1,617 posts
Armorama: 1,150 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 05:59 AM UTC
Hi Remco.
I've been following this build on Twenot.nl.
Nice to post this overhere.
As I'm not a Twenot member, it's now easy for me to reply on this build. I like the building, details like the rooftiles and the brickwork.
Didn't have a clue on the 'M10 Erzats', but I start to learn from others.
Bluefoam is also for sale in every thickness you want. Scale-world does it as far as I know.

Regards,

Robert Jan
 _GOTOTOP