_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
'Band of Brothers' dio....
Barbarossa
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 216 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 08:38 AM UTC
Hey everyone....,

Well another new dio in the making. Well actually, not quite. This is a re-do of an old model I made 7 years ago, that's been sitting looking at me these past few years & I've been wanting to give a bit more life to & busy it up abit. Having learnt so much since then (back in the day I didn't even paint the faces on )
I fancied giving afew new techniques a try. First time I've built a building exterior from scratch, first time I've used cork as a street (this old one I'd used 'lentils' ). First time too for scribing a wall out of clay. The original idea for using a tall base & a cover picture came from a Tamiya magazine. Here's the original:-

Wanted to try & keep & use as much of the original pieces as possible, as well as introducing some new elements. The scene itself won't be from any part of the series, it's just an excuse to use the image on the front of the block. These are the kits (old & new) I'll be using...

The basic idea was to use 'MasterBoxs' France 1944 paratroopers coming out of a building with the two french civilians, only to be stopped in their tracks by one guy spotting a lone German SS Grenadier around the corner, oblivious to their presence. Well that was the idea anyway.... The horse & cart will be used another time. So to create this scenario, I wanted a small side lane, leading into the main street. Got some ideas off Google images using the one below with the French bakery as one to work from. Raised the lane from the back to add some height, with a small hump in the middle to allow the rainwater to flow to the sides.

Today I had a go at the stonework on the front of the bakery. Using the ideas from the excellent book by Laszlo Adoba's "Lets Build a Diorama 1", I first rolled out the air dry clay to fit the plastic I wanted covered.

Then the scribing began...slowly....

Once it was done, & before it could begin to dry, I painted it with thinned watery glue & stuck very thin layers of tissue paper over it in small sections, before pressing it down & reforming the seperate stones underneath, as below:-

The idea for this is it gives the stonework abit more texture, especially once it has all dried & been painted. I made a rough mock up of how it's all supposed to take shape later on, the grenadier unaware of his sudden situation. The door at the rear to the left is where the civilin mother & daughter will be emerging from .

All the buildings interiors will obviously all be built & decorated accordingly, I think this will be the first dio I've done when the buildings won't have been damaged in any way. However, because of the obvious height restrictions, they won't have roofs, but a level cut off point.
Any comments or suggestions appreciated as always, as I said I'm new to the 'scratch building 'buildings' game' , so any advice most welcome. I'd have liked to have had abit more room to work with, but the size of the base held that back. I'm pleased though with how much extra I've got onto that base compared to the original model. The rear house on the left will be coated in glue & fine sand & airbrushed for it's facade, but that's all for another day...

Cheers for now....,
SIMON
nng-nng
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 376 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 09:03 AM UTC
Bob was made now almost 13 years ago? Gosh... I´m getting old...
Air clay is a really nice medium to work with, a bit apart from the mainstreem (plaster), but also has its advantages...
I think, I can see the direction you´re heading.... and I have to say, I quite like what what I see...

Cheers and Currahee!
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 09:28 AM UTC
Okay Simon ,

looking good and i'll keep looking for further developments !

Cheers ,

Kurt

bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 05:57 AM UTC
Very nice, my son and I were in Carentan this past May for a "Band of Brothers" self-guided tour of the Normandy and Bulge battlefields.
nng-nng
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 376 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 07:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice, my son and I were in Carentan this past May for a "Band of Brothers" self-guided tour of the Normandy and Bulge battlefields.

Did you find the Cafe´du Normandy?
I´ve been there too, but I must say that Carentan is quite strange place... lot´s of banners, flags and Screaming Eagles around, but no Museum or so... As we camae by train (and there is no public transport at all), we clouldn´t make it anywhere else, as we had to catch the last train back to Paris... If you like, I´ve shared some pics here: http://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=13457&p=albums&album=14969&view=list
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 07:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I´ve been there too, but I must say that Carentan is quite strange place... lot´s of banners, flags and Screaming Eagles around, but no Museum or so... As we camae by train (and there is no public transport at all), we clouldn´t make it anywhere else, as we had to catch the last train back to Paris... If you like, I´ve shared some pics here: http://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=13457&p=albums&album=14969&view=list

Agree totally on Carentan being a bit of a disappointment!
Thanks for the link to your pictures!!

Cheers

Romain

Barbarossa
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 08:18 AM UTC
Hi everyone....,
Thanks guys for the feedback, appreciated as always!!

Well it seems like ages since the last post, abit of a slow burner this one, but here's some progress photo's of how this is comming along. The basic exterior & interior of the bakery & house are complete, and now begun working on the corner house. The steet too has been painted with acrylics & oils.

These are the first scratch built buildings I've made, after always buying the usual miniart etc... Everythings a learning curve, would've liked abit more room to stretch them, but the size of the base block hindered that. I probably should've made the proper floor joists between the ground & first floors too, instead of just the black finish.

Decided on having the BOB picture on the front of the base as in the original dio, but this time having a name plate above that also. And that's where I'm stuck on a name.....? Usually the name of a diorama comes to mind pretty quickly, but still working on this one...... The fact that the German in the corner will be oblivious to what's going on behind him, or the story of the injured girl (she will be injured) being evacuated, or the Baker watching everything unfold infront of him......so still working on it....??

The ground floor of the corner building from 'custom dioramics' is removable for the time being, to make it easier to furnish & paint. I'm planning to use both kitchen furniture sets from 'Verlinden' & 'Royal Models' for all the buildings.

Going to use 6 Airborne figures in all, as well as the 2 girls from the MB set, the German, & decided on putting a baker in the shop too from MK35. Well he's actually a Cafe Owner, but he's goimg to have a change of occupation......(in more ways than one)

Thanks as always for reading, hopefully more to come abit sooner next time....
Cheers,
SIMON.
Fenbeiduo
Visit this Community
Jiangsu, China / 简体
KitMaker: 103 posts
Armorama: 90 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 07:43 AM UTC
The building looks awesome! hue on the wall looks comfort to me
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 08:20 AM UTC

Nice show Sir!!

The only thing I don't understand is the strange puzzle on the boulangerie's facade!!?

There are other flaws, but they are minor if compared to the puzzle.

Apart from the fact that no building in Normandy would have looked like it, you must think about the time and energy one would have to put into such a job!

Sorry, but I had to point it out!

Eager to see the figures now!!

Cheers

Romain

Barbarossa
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 - 01:43 AM UTC
Hello again......, it's been a while.....
Thanks Tao & Romain for the comments. Appreciate the remark about the 'Puzzle' Romain. Sort of tried to imitate granite walls here In the Channel Islands where I live, just across the water from Normandy. It was the third attempt at the colour, and have grown to like the way this one turned out. I could have used grey or 'stone' colours, but think this gives abit more character. Thanks though.....

Decided to re-do the 1st floors in both buildings, using floor beams as they should be. I bought Verlinden's kitchen set #888 to furnish some of the buildings, along with some scratch built stuff, rats & spare bits. Bought some transfer paper to use for the first time....., to put on the window, canopy & sign. After a little trial & error it worked ok, if not abit shiney on the canopy. Have ordered some Vallejo Matt varnish to try & dull it...... I printed out some new Airborne patches to use on the figures once painted, that could work well...??

Pretty pleased with how the interiors came together, although as always when everything's photographed in macro then the flaws appear!! Needed to try & 'militarize' the corner house, instead of looking like a dolls house once the furniture is in, so will have some crates, boxes & equipment upstairs to fill that space, & down stairs will have a couple of German infantry with their gear. Originally the story of this was the Airborne troops evacuating a mother & child from under the nose of the enemy, all being oblivious to the others presence. That's still to be the idea, but now with the baker watching it all from his shop, & afew more Wehrmacht guys thrown in, making them even more distracted with what there doing. The new figures are from 'Stalingrad' & MK35.

There's still loads to do, the figures, finish the rooms, tidy up the sides, make a little MG post with sandbags, repaint the motorcycle from the original dio & (most importantly) still come up with a name...... Something to do with the German occupiers being unaware of their situation...?????

Anyway, thanks as always for looking, will try to update more often now, all comments & critiques welcomed as ever...

Cheers for now,
SIMON.
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 - 06:02 AM UTC

Hi Simon,

just sent you a PM. Check your inbox!

Cheers

Romain

bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 - 04:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Sorry I missed your post!

Keep in mind that the series was filmed in England at the Hatfield Aerodrome on a "one-size-fits-all" set the producers could rearrange to represent France, Holland and Germany. So what we see in the show is not Carentan at all.

You're right that the real town today is a bit of a modern jumble, but we did find the porticoed block they were trying to recreate in the series. And the town square has the sad World Wars monument with the many names of soldiers killed in the Great War (similar to such monuments all over France & England).

The only way to see Normandy is with a hired car or a guide with his own car. I have a terrific one if anyone is interested.
 _GOTOTOP