_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M1A1 Cold War
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 350 posts
Armorama: 158 posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2003 - 07:11 AM UTC
Looking for recommendations for a kit of an Abrams with 105mm main gun appropriate to Cold War era. Also an photo etch kits to help make an accurate European theatre Abrams.
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2003 - 07:23 AM UTC
The M1A1 did not have a 105mm main gun, the designation of A1 was given to the newer 120mm main gun tanks. The only relatively accurte kit of the M1 was the older Tamiya kit. I think there was an Academy or Esci M1 also but have heard bad things about it. The Eduard PE set is very nice and I think there is an M1 set.

rob
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2003 - 08:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking for recommendations for a kit of an Abrams with 105mm main gun appropriate to Cold War era. Also an photo etch kits to help make an accurate European theatre Abrams.

Out of box, the old Tamiya M1 makes into a decent early M1. If you can find one on eBay, they tend to go for around $10-20 depending on who's bidding and how bad they want it.

To make an accurate M1IP (Improved Production) tank, you'll need to kitbash it with an M1A1 kit (Academy's M1A1 is good enough donor kit for this). The M1IP was the base M1 tank with several modifications added based on feedback from the units that were fielded the original M1s. A straight M1 was rather rare after the Abrams was fielded to the rest of the Army since they were all brought up to "IP" standards.

Both the M1 and the M1IP had very short frontline service lives. It (M1) was fielded in 1981 and by the end of the 1991 Gulf War had basically been replaced by variants of the M1A1 in all Regular Army units.

Esci made an M1 Abrams. It was OK, but by far the worst of the two 105mm equipped M1 kits available. AMT/Ertl also boxed this kit. Esci/AMT/Ertl also made an M1A1, but it was in actuality a poor attempt at an M1E1.

Best bet, get the Tamiya M1 kit (35124), Academy M1A1 kit (1345) and the Eduard PE for the Academy M1A1 (35057). If you really want to go all out, buy the Armour Track single link tracks for the M1/K1 T-156 (#TK-02). I'd look for builder's kits on eBay, I buy them all the time.

PM me if you need more info on the M1IP, I have a couple of them at work.
 _GOTOTOP