_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Academy Decals
Calgary351GT
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 - 03:10 AM UTC
I'm building a 1/25th Panther by Academy. Has anyone had any trouble working with their decals? IE too thick?

I tried a test run on a scrap piece, decalling over zimeritt with extra decals from a Tamiya kit and had no problems. The Academy decals behave totally different. No Micro Sol in the world is going to get it to flatten.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 - 03:29 AM UTC
Have you tried SolvaSet? It is stronger.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 - 09:44 AM UTC
That's strange. I used Micro Sol on several Academy decals and it worked great. They are rather thick. Have you considered seeing if someone has spare decals from another manufacturer? It may cost a few dollars, but you can save the cost of a bottle of Solvaset.
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 - 11:15 AM UTC
I don't know about their armor decals, but it's been a topic of contention for quite a while for aircraft builders. So much so, that I pitch the decals whenever I begin an Academy kit. They are just not worth the frustration. I've heard that Academy has finally started to address the long known problem by having Cartograph do their decals on newer kits. I agree that no amount of solution solved the problem when I tried that approach. I'd go with after market decals if you can. Just my opinion.

Cheers,
Mike
Calgary351GT
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 06:10 PM UTC
That's what I'm hearing. Any suggestions on after market? I'd hate to order a sheet only to go through the same thing again.

I'm going to steal the numbering from my Tamiya kit, but am short on German insignia. I'll just have to try to make them work.
 _GOTOTOP