_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
T-28 Construction Question
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 - 10:57 AM UTC
I am in the process of completing the Dragon, 1/35 T-28 Heavy Tank. It is a tedious build to say the least. As a first run model, Dragon has several (boy, am I being charitable here) instruction errors to correct. I worked my way through several of the challenges, but I am completely stuck on one. The main gun is very nicely done, the muzzle brake is plastic and fits well. The gun mantle allows for elevation but no deflection. I can live with that. The question I have: what parts constitute the device for the retention of the barrel in the mantle? I would appreciate any assistance in that regard.
Many thanks
DJ
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 - 12:13 PM UTC
Here was my solution. The huge heavy aluminum gun barrel is supposed to be glued into part C18 and then retained by part C19 though how exactly the gun is supposed to stay in elevation and not instantly depress under its own weight is not explained. Also, DO NOT glue the muzzle brake onto the barrel before you pass the barrel through the mantlet cover....for obvious reasons. My solution (after several attempts with counterweights etc ) was to glue the gun in elevation using two part epoxy and then, once the gun housing was fitted to the model glue the mantlet cover to the mantle at the required angle (the front face of the cover needs to be at right angles to the gun tube). All in all, a hideous piece of design so typical of DML's recent products......
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 - 01:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Here was my solution. The huge heavy aluminum gun barrel is supposed to be glued into part C18 and then retained by part C19 though how exactly the gun is supposed to stay in elevation and not instantly depress under its own weight is not explained. Also, DO NOT glue the muzzle brake onto the barrel before you pass the barrel through the mantlet cover....for obvious reasons. My solution (after several attempts with counterweights etc ) was to glue the gun in elevation using two part epoxy and then, once the gun housing was fitted to the model glue the mantlet cover to the mantle at the required angle (the front face of the cover needs to be at right angles to the gun tube). All in all, a hideous piece of design so typical of DML's recent products......

Lord bless you!
Many thanks
 _GOTOTOP