_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Looking for help with Mr White putty for zimm
mvonb
Visit this Community
Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2003 - 08:44 AM UTC
I bought a couple of tubes of this stuff hoping it would be easier to use than milliput, but the texture is akin to toothpaste with a thick skin. Can anyone give me an idea of the curing time needed, in order to give a realistic zimm profile. I'm considering just using Humbrol putty, what do you guys suggest?

TIA

Martin
TJ
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2003 - 10:57 AM UTC
If you have the Zimmerit tools, why not give household spackle a shot? If you don't like the look you can wash it off with water before it dries hard and after it dries you can chip it realistically.
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Armorama: 566 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 07:37 AM UTC
I tried using the same style stuff you just got... didn't have much luck...

I found that it dried too fast to allow time to get the pattern applied. One thing you might try is to thin it a bit with a liquid glue (like Tenax). The carrier solvent for the putty is most likely Toluene, which is basically the same stuff as Tenax. That should give you a bit more time to work with it...

Jeff
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 08:59 AM UTC
I've used Squadron white putty which is probably the same thing. To do it I used stamps rather than the Tamiya scratching devices. Only put a small amount on at a time (quarter to one third of a turret SIDE) and have a dental trowel to smooth it. Give about 30-45 seconds to start hardening a bit then work your stamp on it. I had some acetone that i would use to gently wipe down with and keep stamp from clogging hiding the pattern. Now, I use the cavalier. You get a sense of pride making your own zimmerit, but the time and no matter how hard you try the crudity shows. Of course you might want the crudity to depict a field Zimmerit job. You looking for one on a Tiger, King Tiger or late model Panther...go with the Cavalier or PE Eduard stuff.
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 12:39 PM UTC
how does the household spackle work.
i read an old magizne and the guy liked teh way it truned out
mvonb
Visit this Community
Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
KitMaker: 28 posts