Hosted by Darren Baker
1/700 Tamiya Enterprise
plasticman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 129 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 02:49 PM UTC
Hello, here is my dio of my 1/700 Enterprise by Tamiya. Its the waterline series OOB no photo etching. Paints by Testors Acryl, Weathering by AK Interactive, Water done with Clear Acrylic Latex Caulk...next build the Bismarck by Trumpeter....Im slowly adding more photos to this post

border="0">

corsair924
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 403 posts
Armorama: 322 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 03:24 PM UTC
I'm sure you're about to get posted that this really belongs over in the Model Ship section not armorama But it is nice to have a bit of variety on occasion.
Your rendition of the Big E is pretty good for 1/700th --looks OOB- which I prefer instead of spending big money and killing your eyes trying to set up literally microscopic PE guns and such.
This is probably overly critical, but I think that as a late war (F4U and SB2C) strike was prepared the entire air group would have been stacked tight at the stern with wings folded to give more running room (although by 1944 she had catapults)
Never mind that--still a nice model.
plasticman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 03:30 PM UTC
Thanks for the reply. Since it is a diorama, I thought this would be the section to post...no? As for the planes, I just put them on there loosely, i did not glue them on. I was going by the layout of the instructions. The planes are supposed to be back more, but I have the elevator modeled down. This is pre war by the way. If I am not mistaken all decks were not painted over during pre war. During the war the decks were black.... please correct me if am wrong. Glad you like the model!
plasticman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 03:33 PM UTC
Most of these planes were probably none existent during the pre war. Since they came with the kit, I figured I put them on. Again, not to sure when the Enterprise painted her deck over...
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 03:46 PM UTC
sean,

First, your weathering - I am envious of your effect! Good looking model and that goes for the water, too.

I found this when reviewing a carrier deck:

Quoted Text

Pre-war US Navy carrier decks were teak, and teak is a reddish brown color. I've seen the color referred to as a mahogany stain. Chrome yellow markings were used.

Archives show that as early as July 1941 the Navy was applying blue stain to some carrier decks. Prior to November 1941 the flight deck of USS Ranger was stained a sea blue, Blue Deck Stain, Norfolk Formula No. L-81-3m. After sea trials the stain was reformulated and became Norfolk No. 250N Blue Flight Deck Stain. Markings were a light gray.

During the war other colors were tried, such as a variant of 5-O Ocean Gray known as #21 Flight Deck Stain. In mid-1944 returned a dark blue color, #21 Flight Deck Stain (Revised). This color was used through the Korean War.

REFERENCE

Adoption of Blue Flight Deck Stain on US Navy carriers. http://www.shipcamouflage.com/specialtopics/BlueFlightDecks.html. Michael J. Vorrasi.
30 April 2005.

I just followed the URL and it didn't work. www.shipcamouflage.com is still there but you'll have to click about looking for the article.

C[ ]
plasticman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 03:55 PM UTC
Thanks for the complement Frederick, it means alot. I thought the weathering came out pretty well, considering I am no master at it. AK Interactive makes it pretty simple to do. As for the deck, boy it can get a little complicated as to the correct colors. I thought the deck marking were white (my fault) I have not stumbled across on any yellow carrier deck markings decals. I did see a dio that the carrier had yellow markings on it, I thought it was kind of odd.... oh well, live and learn I guess LOL

When I painted the deck I did not have any color in mind, just thought "wood color" It came out pretty nice I thought. Thank you for the references, I'll keep that link in my favorites the next time I do another carrier.
corsair924
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 403 posts
Armorama: 322 posts
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 - 12:54 AM UTC
Sean,

Ah, thats the period you're looking for.
You'll have to do a bit of research, fortunately it can be online, as to whether you are doing 1939/40 or late in '41.
The AA guns are differently the 1.1" from the period, by the time the SBC2 and F4U (1944)entered service the 1.1 was long replaced with 40mm Bofors.
Period (1940-1)correct aircraft would be TBD Devastator torpedo bombers and SBD Dauntless Dive-bombers. At the time of Pearl Harbor Enterprise had F4F-3 Wildcats had replaced biplanes on board (but by then she was on a war footing so would have had the dark deck).
BUT the wings on SBDs and F4F-3s DO NOT fold. (You could still use F4F-4s just don't fold.)

Just a sample of where to get the planes: http://www.megahobby.com/aircraft-models-1/700-scale-plastic-ship-model-kits.aspx?page=3

Good Luck, and have fun.
plasticman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 - 02:08 AM UTC
Thanks J, I appreciate your input. Im not a huge ship builder, so I did not do a whole lot of research on the BIG E. I used what they gave me, I think this kit dates back to 1974 (something like that). The kit itself lacked alot of detail, including no decals and lousy looking planes....... ill take a look on what you sent me, much appreciated!
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 - 02:21 AM UTC
While this should go to MSW as said I am pleased to have it brought to my attention and very impressed with the finishing. The only issue I see is one aircraft with a collapsed under carriage.
plasticman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 - 03:44 PM UTC
Good eye Darren, yes you are correct my friend. The piece (landing gear) was broken off. I did not notice it until after I painted it.... Little piece of sprue will fix her up. Thanks for the nice feedback
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 08:18 AM UTC
Aha... here you are Sean !

You have done a nice job building the carrier with an excellent painting and weathering, the sea is also very convincing to me. I like the color too by the way.

Looking good !

Kurt
plasticman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 11:49 AM UTC
Hey Kurt, thank you for the kind words..... it was a fun build. The paint and the planes are not accurate to the time period, but I'll get it right on the next build

Cheers my friend!
 _GOTOTOP