_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Sand paint on M1A2 SEP TUSK II
ubisuck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 255 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 04:05 AM UTC
I'm looking for the closest Acrylic SAND paint that looks like Tamiya TS-46 to airbrush on my Abrams. Problem is TS-46 is enamel and I want Acrylics.

It's a personal choice because of odors and the fumes stick everywhere since I have to do that on the kitchen table and I don't have a spraybooth, they are too costly when you import them from the USofA.
Phael_minis
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 208 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 04:55 AM UTC
I think 2 parts white and one part sand yellow is a good match for OIF.
ubisuck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 05:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think 2 parts white and one part sand yellow is a good match for OIF.

Cool, I'll try it. Thank you
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 05:59 AM UTC
Marc,
Try Deck Tan Wooden (XF78) for your base coat and then add a bit of white to add highlights as needed.

John
ubisuck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 06:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Marc,
Try Deck Tan Wooden (XF78) for your base coat and then add a bit of white to add highlights as needed.

John

I'm gonna have to go to the mall and hopefully the one Library store who has models paints in this town will have it. Closest I have here is XF-55 Deck Tan.

Thank you John

[EDIT] Just thought of something, with the bus fare: 2 tickets, plus the paint, I'll have to wait for next month welfare check to go get it. I'm gonna take a couple of 4Mg Dilaudid and take a nap. I'm a bit tired to live like that but I don't have a choice[END EDIT]
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,558 posts
Armorama: 1,159 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 11:59 PM UTC
Marc--AK, Ammo of MIG, Vallejo, Gunze, and Model Master all make acrylics in the right shade (or close). The paints are as follows:
AK 122, OIF & OEF US Vehicles Base Color
A.MIG-025, FS 33446 US Modern Vehicles
Vallejo Model Air 71122, Desert Tan 686 FS33446
Gunze Sangyo H313
MM Acryl 4720 Sand

Phael_minis
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 208 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 12:30 AM UTC
vallejo tan 686 is much too dark!
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,558 posts
Armorama: 1,159 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 12:49 AM UTC
Raphael--I've never tried the Vallejo Tan 686, but I'll take your word for it. I was just passing on the manufacturer recommendations. I have tried Vallejo Model Air 71075, which gives a good representation of CARC Sand (the real-life color) and is very close to Gunze H313.

Of the paints I listed, I've tried the Gunze and MM paints. Both are good representations. I own, but haven't yet tried, the AK color. The others I just pulled from manufacturer sites. into my color reference database, so they may or may not be accurate.
corsair924
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 403 posts
Armorama: 322 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 01:00 AM UTC
May I make a suggestion for a painting box
I made one for about $60 using
a clear storage tote,
an inline duct fan and
a length of dryer vent.
Add a cord to plug it in and
a small piece of plywood -large enough to block a portion of the window
with a hole the same size as the duct (4") and you can vent most of the fumes out side.
Pull it back out when done painting

But as my face is right there and the paint often gets deflected back at me I still wear the respirator mask

I think that if you ordered enough of this stuff together delivery would be free (at least on this side of the border)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sterilite-30-Qt-Latch-Storage-Box-19858606/204724998?N=5yc1vZc89jZ1z0tuqhZ1z0uwq2

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Suncourt-Inductor-4-in-In-Line-Duct-Fan-DB204/100073963

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Westinghouse-8-ft-SPT-2-Silver-Cord-Set-7009800/204836007

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-4-in-x-8-ft-Dryer-Duct-PM8X73DS/100050673

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Tekk-Protection-Household-Multi-Purpose-Respirator-65021HA1-C/202080143
mvaiano
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 1,054 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 01:58 AM UTC
Hi Marc!

I used Vallejo's Sand Primer on my RG-31 and loved the final result.

Cheers!

Marco
ubisuck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 02:05 AM UTC

@J.Poitras (you do know that's one of the oldest french-canadian family name?) I'll take note and go online at my Home Depot Store, I think it's free too, but I'm not certain.

Still, it's gonna be next month, Today and until April 1st (and it's not a April Fool's day joke), your $60 is like 2 millions dollar for me. When you get 978$/month, after all the things you need to pay plus food, I manage to squeeze enough to buy a model or paints or a tool. But not all the same month lol.

So I'll do your homemade paintbooth in April. Thank you.

@ John & @Lucas & @RaphaelB: all a big thank you for your help and Lucas for his research too.

Did I forget someone?

THX,

Marc/ubi

[EDIT]

Quoted Text

Hi Marc!

Cheers!

Marco

Well, just the primer? as the final coat? I'll go see it. Thank you for the help. That would be awesome because I think I have a bottle here.

Marc
mvaiano
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 1,054 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 02:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Marc!

Cheers!

Marco

Well, just the primer? as the final coat? I'll go see it. Thank you for the help. That would be awesome because I think I have a bottle here.

Marc[/quote]

Yes Marc, just the primer. I used primer as a base coat in more than a projet and liked the final result.

Cheers!

Marco
ubisuck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 02:44 AM UTC
It really looks good. I still have a few things to add on it and I'll give it a try. I go slowly, I'm on legal morphine because of the failed back surgery and If I stay too long gluing parts, I make mistake.
ubisuck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 03:01 AM UTC
@J Poitras: I'm looking at my Home Depot, I can get a bathroom fan, it has a 3inch exit hole (or w/e it's called) and it pulls 50 ft³/min and the dryer duct 3"x8feet is 3.35$

Would that be enough? It has to pull that through a filter. and it's 19.95$.

As for the clear storage tote, I can get a 112liter for 6.50$

So you know what, I think it's a great idea and it's going to be cheap, even if I haven't checked the filter yet.

Thank you very much
StanNC
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 03:45 AM UTC
For those considering making your own spray booth for using enamel and for acrylic paints, I would suggest that you be very careful. The fans being suggested for use don't appear to conform to the National Electric Code for use in situations where there are solvent vapors present. The fan could to be a possible source of ignition for the vapors being extracted from your paint spray booth. I am of the understanding that most acrylic paints are water based emulsions. That doesn't mean that they are completely free of solvents or combustible liquids that could be ignited when dispersed (sprayed) into the air. Exhaust those vapors across an ignition source and you have a "problem". You also should be aware thate there could be a build-up of static electricity caused by the air flow that can be another source of ignition for combustible vapors. You would need to proberly "bond, and have proper conduction to a ground" for all the parts of your spray booth.
This isn't rocket science or brain surgery, but you really should know what you are doing.
 _GOTOTOP