_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Putting on the War Paint!
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,209 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2014 - 12:10 PM UTC
Hi,
I intend to paint some figures for a dio I'm putting together & they are British army figures circa 1980's.
I wanted to add some cammo face paint but I've always had trouble before in this area as I've never been able to make it look right.
Any hints & tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Joe.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2014 - 12:14 PM UTC
Darker areas should be a lighter shade. Vice versa for lighter areas. You are attempting to make the face look "flat". At least, this is how veterans explain it to me.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 12:46 AM UTC
Not darker areas, but high areas get dak camo. So the brow and forehead, cheek bones, nose and chin get dark camo. The eye sockets, hollows of the cheek, under the chin, etc. get light camo.

An example (the guy on the far right looks pretty good):
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 01:36 AM UTC
That is what I meant. Slept on and off, throughout the day. My coffee just hadn't kicked in, yet.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 01:55 AM UTC
As to technique...what I do with my native American figures is to paint and highlight/shade the face as if there were to be no "warpaint." I then apply very thin glazes of the colors I want, typically Vallejo black gray and vermillion. Obviously, these are the colors you'll be using, but he idea is the same. the basic shading shows through for the most part. If needed, lightened colors may be used for highlights.
 _GOTOTOP