_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Does vinegar damage airbrush?
Chrisk-K
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 294 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 07:42 PM UTC
I've stopped using Windex to clean my AB's because ammonia damages chrome plating and brass. So I'm looking at ammonia-free glass cleaners.

It seems that the majority of ammonia-free cleaners have vinegar. Does anyone know vinegar attacks chrome?
doppelganger
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 557 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 09:50 PM UTC
I would use 90% alcohol for acrylic paint residue,lacquer thinner for anything more difficult to remove.Vinegar? never tried it to clean my airbrush tastes great on a salad.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 04:04 AM UTC
Vinegar is acid so I would assume that eventually it would corrode any coating.
BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
Armorama: 994 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 04:59 AM UTC
Hello everyone,

Vinegar is a mild acid like as stated and using it to clean an airbrush would not be a wise idea.
Reason, it will leave a film over the noozle and other parts and the paint will pick this up and it will not stick to the model.
Vinegar will not work well if you are using oil based paint. They don't play well each other.

HTH.........See ya in the funnies................
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 06:55 AM UTC
The concerns about ammonia induced "seasonal cracking" in the brass parts of airbrushes has got to be one of the most overblown issues in the modeling world.

"Seasonal cracking" is only an issue for brass parts that have been formed by die striking (which creates internal stresses in the metal)- not normal machining. Brass that's been annealed properly to reduce stresses before die-forming is not generally subject to this problem, anyways. This was a problem back in the 18th century with brass cased rifle ammunition that was not properly annealed before the cases were drawn and formed.

The ammonia will not have any effect on the chrome parts of an airbrush. Resistance to corrosion and ease of cleaning is why those parts are chrome plated to begin with. It's also the reason why some rifle gun barrels are chrome plated - to resist corrosion inside the barrel and chamber.

The worst that can possibly happen from using glass cleaner in an airbrush might be some slight discoloration of any exposed brass, but this is going to tarnish anyways, and that normal tarnishing will be indistinguishable from tarnishing caused by the glass cleaner.

Use as much glass cleaner as you want - Your airbrush will not suffer any sort of catastrophic, stress-corrosion cracking failure as a result.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 07:25 AM UTC
I have never ever thought of using vinegar to clean an airbrush , this is new to me . I have always used lacquer thinner the Home Depot type and a lot of elbow grease and little brushes to clean the airbrush after each use . But then I don't have any breathing problems so maybe that's why I live under a rock .
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 08:34 AM UTC
For the amount of time that Windex sits in the airbrush for the
purpose of cleaning, I would not be too concerned. Besides, you
should flush any residue out with water as a final step.

I would be more concerned with Windex being used as a thinner,
as some do, the ammonia breaks down the binders in acrylic paints.

I really don't see any point in using vinegar.

Cheers,
Joe
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 11:12 AM UTC
The ammonia and brass issue comes us frequently on just about every modeling forum.

Here's what the folks at Badger Airbrush (Thayer & Chandler) say about it:

Quoted Text

Info from Ken @ Badger Air-Brush

"From Ken:

Ammonia is an excellent spray through cleaner because it has the ability to breakdown acrylic paints. I never suggest soaking your airbrush in ammonia because ammonia will deteriorate brass during prolonged exposure. But spraying an ammonia based cleaner through the airbrush in no way, shape, or form comes to the point of concern for prolonged exposure. I have sprayed ammonia through Badger airbrushes for over 30 years and have yet to see a damaged airbrush as a result of this cleaning media or method - and I also know I don't have to disassemble my airbrush to clean it if I properly employ this method.

Please feel free to post this anywhere you wish - with my assurance that if someone's usage of an ammonia based spray through cleaner results in damage to their Badger airbrush I will gladly replace the airbrush for them."

This statement from Badger has been posted on numerous modeling forums, including here on Armorama. It took me a while to dig it up, but I think it pretty much lays the issue to rest.

If cleaning products containing ammonia were deadly to airbrushes, then the manufacturers would all be including warning statements against their use to include info that the use of such products would void any warranty.

BTW: The same thing applies to damage to airbrush seals from lacquer thinners. Badger includes lacquer paints as recommended for all of its airbrushes with not a single word of caution about lacquer thinners attacking and / or degrading the seals.
Chrisk-K
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 - 02:12 PM UTC
I'll go back to Windex. Nothing else removes Tamiya acrylics better than Windex. I asked about using Windex to clean AB's at an airbrush forum where so-called professional airbrush artists hang out. They advised against Windex Those people use their ABs for hours a day, whereas I use my ABs for hours a year.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 - 02:53 PM UTC
Chris invest in some Medea Airbrush cleaner, it is cheap enough and if you purchase a big bottle it will last a good while. Using that will mean you no longer have to be concerned about the airbrush.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 - 03:30 PM UTC
Chrisk-K,

I presume you spray acrylics? If so, try Simple Green. It obliterates the acrylics I shoot (the late-great Polly Scale; Lifecolor; Vallejo). FWIW, I shoot ammonia through my Paasche and Aztec to cleanse them of Future. No problems noted.
nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 371 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 06:34 PM UTC
Vinegar is acetic acid. I can't imagine how you could be worried about using ammonia based glass cleaner but think using acid would be a good idea!

As long as you flush with water afterwards, glass cleaner is fine.
Chrisk-K
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 03:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Chris invest in some Medea Airbrush cleaner, it is cheap enough and if you purchase a big bottle it will last a good while. Using that will mean you no longer have to be concerned about the airbrush.

I have three Iwata AB's, so it's fitting that I 'd better use Medea cleaner. I didn't know I have two bottles of Medea cleaner. I must have bought them when I bought my first Iwata (HP-CS) two years ago.

Anyway, it cleans my AB's in no time!
 _GOTOTOP