All things Vietnam
Hosted by Darren Baker
M-54 with trailer/Convoy
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 04:56 AM UTC
Photos of the finished M-54 conversion with scratch built cargo. http://community.webshots.com/album/105611706szFzGx
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 05:24 AM UTC
u sure that is not a real pic lol,
thats came out really nice,
i like the scratch built cargo
you should tell use what kind or rsin and other thing u use
for scratch building merry christmas to all (:-)
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 06:02 AM UTC
All of the cargo crates and PSP is made form Evergreen plastic stock. The crates are made of individual pieces cut with the Dupli cutter. The Psp planking is also from evergreen plastic. It is strips of railroad box car siding with holes drilled into it. the Bunker dunnage is made from cocktail sticks that I cut to 8 and 4 foot lengths(1/35 scale). I weather them with iodine and black wash.
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Armorama: 566 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 07:31 AM UTC
Holy Moly.... That is one sweet looking truck! Very realistically weathered!

I especially like the spare tire in the bed... VERY nice :-) That thing just looks REAL.....

I better stop looking at your trucks, Animal.......... I'm feeling the pull whip up a truck ..... hehehe Congrats on an inspiring build all around..

Jeff
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 07:38 AM UTC
another real nice truck Animal. I really like the way you have weathered it and also the realistic way you have done the cargo.
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 07:49 AM UTC
Thanks Jeff and Mr. Roo means a lot coming from the Minister of Transportation.
Lionheart
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 09:08 AM UTC
Where can I find information on how to do the weathering technique such as you used? Your truck looks very realistic.
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 09:46 AM UTC
I use model masters Od for the base coat followed by a wash made up Rust-all product 60% rust and 40% black Black . I brush this on with a very soft wide brush. This is a light even coat. I then dust the entire vehicle with the dust that is supplied with the rust all kit. I then spray a thinned coat of model masters flat clear ovr the entire model with the windows masked off. After this dries I use the mixture of rust and black in areas where I feel you would find some surface rust. The chassis and springs, engine and tranny, around the lug nuts on the wheels. I also use liberal amounts of this solution in the bed of the truck and top surfaces where there might be a collection of water that can evaporate and start to rust. I weather the tires with a mud paint that is a mixture of dark tan sand and flat clear to make a light dusty wash. I paint this all over the tires and before it is totally dry I follow with just flat clear the move and remove some of the mud to allow some of the black of the tires to show. After I add the cargo to the bed I dust the cargo to give it a traveled look
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 10:55 AM UTC
Again Animal... just an awesome build!! I'm abolutely in love with your weathering!

Will this one be going to the Transportation Museum as well?
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 11:11 AM UTC
Thanks Kevin and yes this one will be going also. I will have my van full this summer. We are having another Gathering and I plan to attend this year.
darkstar
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 209 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 11:28 PM UTC
outstanding work there Dave...looks like they're ready to roll..but i didnt notice any hookups air and electrical...and safty chains...Ray
bergstiger
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 68 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 03:33 AM UTC
I am truly impressed with the cargo trailer. Tell us a bit how you went about that build. Please. #:-)
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 03:44 AM UTC
Dave

Another softskin stunner!

The strapped crates in the cargo load and trailer look great, and I see from your reply, they're all scratched. Is the Dupli cutter the way to go with these types of projects then Dave --i.e. you would recommend it?

The weathering/mud on the truck and trailer is so authentic -- the thing actually looks dirty - you have this technique mastered.

Looks like another ribbon winner. Congrats!

Steve

animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 04:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

outstanding work there Dave...looks like they're ready to roll..but i didnt notice any hookups air and electrical...and safty chains...Ray

Thanks for pointing this out to me Ray. I completely forgot about them.

The trailer is the Italeri kit # 229 that I updated with a set of wheels and tires from the AFV Club 2 1/2 ton kit. I scribed the tailgate lines in the rear. Other than that it is out of the box build.

I would highly recommend the Dupli-Cutter. If you need to make multiple pieces the same size it is the only way to go.
bergstiger
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 68 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 04:47 AM UTC
Thank you for the quick feed back about how you did the trailer.
 _GOTOTOP