_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
DAK Tiger I Crew
AlexB1969
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 02:54 AM UTC
Hi everyone.

I plan to use Alpine Miniatures DAK Panzer Crew for a current Tiger I Initial build. I don't have much luck with painting DAK uniforms because I never seem to have the right color or colors. Do you have any brands-color preferences or color combinations you use? In photos, these uniforms seem darker in early 1943 than in the early years of the DAK.

Thanks for your help.

Alex
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 03:02 AM UTC
You could get away with a whole bunch of different colors here. It would depend on how long the soldier was deployed,what action,etc.
Plus remember these guys liked to bleach their hats with soaking them in benzin!! Mark of a veteran for them. That is why a lot of the pics show the hats as looking white.
The desert is very hard on cloth(and everything else for that matter)so you could go with very pale colors,light tan,light olive green,etc.
No need to worry about a specific here,there were none!
J
AlexB1969
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 03:39 AM UTC
Cool Jerry. I read somewhere about a US Veteran of the African theater talking about the white caps the DAK wore. Now, to move on and tackle those pesky uniforms.

Thanks.

Alex
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 06:14 AM UTC
try googling those tank uniforms or better yet,just use the excellent box art from Taesungs great figgies. I would paint the base color lighter than the color shown on the box and then darken that color for the shadows,etc. Then of course,lighter for the high points. I am sure you have your methods.
J
 _GOTOTOP