_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Problem with Tamiya Acrylic and Lacquer thinn
nr1forme
Visit this Community
Sweden
KitMaker: 51 posts
Armorama: 37 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 08:57 PM UTC
Hi guys!

I've recently started to experience some problems when using Tamiya acrylics and their own Lacquer thinner.I've also tried Mr. Color blue label and levelling thinners to the same effect.

When mixing paint and thinner it blends beautifully. But after a very short time the mix goes out of suspension and the pigment falls to the bottom of the mixing cup like sediment leaving the thinners on top.This also occurs when airbrushing which leads to clogging pretty fast.

I've not had this problem before. Anyone else experienced this?

Regards!

Emil
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 09:38 PM UTC
Sounds like you have a bad bottle. Since I started using lacquer thinner, I have had no problems with it. I left one mix bottle without a cap sit overnight. A few swirls with a toothpick and it sprayed as good as new. This was with a can of generic lacquer thinner. I have also used Floquil and MM/Testors lacquer thinner, with no problem.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 01:59 AM UTC
I've had this problem using hardware store branded lacquer thinner, which might be too strong. Maybe try mixing the paint up better and see how that works?
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 02:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys!

I've recently started to experience some problems when using Tamiya acrylics and their own Lacquer thinner.I've also tried Mr. Color blue label and levelling thinners to the same effect.

When mixing paint and thinner it blends beautifully. But after a very short time the mix goes out of suspension and the pigment falls to the bottom of the mixing cup like sediment leaving the thinners on top.This also occurs when airbrushing which leads to clogging pretty fast.

I've not had this problem before. Anyone else experienced this?

Regards!

Emil

Are these Tamiya paints new bottles? Or could they be contaminated with previous substances [thinning agents] from older jobs?
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 03:09 AM UTC
I mix ordinary lacquer thinner and X-20A 50:50 and then use that to reduce the Tamiya paints at a ratio also at about 50:50.

I only thin the paint that I'm actually getting ready to spray and never save the thinned paint for later.

So far, I've never experienced a problem like you described.

Maybe your thinning ratio is too high and the paint has been thinned too much.

If you're trying thin out the paint to create a semi-transparent layer (like a dust glaze or filter), add back into the mix some of Tamiya's X-22 Clear to replace the binders and give some "body" to the solution. This will make a semi-gloss or eggshell finish with can be eliminated by an overspray of clear flat.

HTH,
Grindcore
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 389 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 05:01 AM UTC

I have always used denatured alcohol with Tamiya, never had a problem in over 20 years.
nr1forme
Visit this Community
Sweden
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 05:40 AM UTC
Hi Guys!

Quoted Text

Sounds like you have a bad bottle. Since I started using lacquer thinner, I have had no problems with it. I left one mix bottle without a cap sit overnight. A few swirls with a toothpick and it sprayed as good as new. This was with a can of generic lacquer thinner. I have also used Floquil and MM/Testors lacquer thinner, with no problem.

Yeah, maybe. IŽll try to order some straight from asia to se if it solves my problem. Maybe the distributor up here got a bad batch or stored them inappropriately.

Quoted Text

I've had this problem using hardware store branded lacquer thinner, which might be too strong. Maybe try mixing the paint up better and see how that works?

I thought this as well. Since Tamiya recently changed their Lacquer thinner from being the same as the Gunze (Mr. Color) thinners with a strong "sweetish" smell. To a formula with MBIK (Methyl-butyl-isoketone)in it.
It now smells reminiscent of green top Tamiya cement. Therefore I tried a brand new bottle of Mr. Color thinner but the results were the same.

Thanks to all you guys for replying, really nice of you. IŽll try your suggestions. If I come up with a solution IŽll post here again.

Best Regards!

Emil
ebergerud
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 297 posts
Armorama: 164 posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 - 10:33 AM UTC
I'm trying to picture the problem. Ever since I started using Tamiya or Gunze lacquer thinners (I wouldn't touch hardware stuff for paint thinning) with Tamiya paints I've almost been amazed how well Tamiya sprays at low psi with a very high thinner to paint mixture - maybe 1-2 (paint/thinner) - perfect for slow build ups of color. Much better than A-20. But I also mix the paint immediately before putting it in the color cup and discard any left-over. Are the paint and thinner separating immediately? My mixes are on the model within two minutes max I'd guess.
Eric
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 - 10:57 AM UTC
Did you try a new bottle of Tamiya paint with the same thinners . Were the results the same . Can't say I've had your problems but all my Tamiya and Gunze paints and thinners are old stock they are at a minimum two years or older . Maybe time to head down to the hobby shop and see what's new . Then maybe I'll have those problems .
nr1forme
Visit this Community
Sweden
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 - 11:31 AM UTC
Hi again!

I've been to the LHS and picked up some more pots. I've just tested them by mixing in a mixing beaker. Two of them separated (xf-5 and xf 10 new label with xf-# in small text) but one was completely fine (xf-80, old style text on bottle). Will do some more tests soon.

Quoted Text

I'm trying to picture the problem. Ever since I started using Tamiya or Gunze lacquer thinners (I wouldn't touch hardware stuff for paint thinning) with Tamiya paints I've almost been amazed how well Tamiya sprays at low psi with a very high thinner to paint mixture - maybe 1-2 (paint/thinner) - perfect for slow build ups of color. Much better than A-20. But I also mix the paint immediately before putting it in the color cup and discard any left-over. Are the paint and thinner separating immediately? My mixes are on the model within two minutes max I'd guess.
Eric

Yes i know. Tamiya acrylics sprayed great with lacquer thinner for me aswell in the past, thats why I'm stumped. If you've tried to mix Vallejo model color with alcohol. You'll know that it gets all gloopy. Thats what happening to my acrylics. Only difference is that the thinner stays on top completely transparent, not mixing in with the goo.

Anyone of you tried the new "stronger smelling" formula thinners without problems? If so, please make a short post, so that I can rule that out if the equation.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out, all of you!

Best regards!

Emil

Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 - 11:38 AM UTC
Eric,

You keep referring to A20 thinner in many of your posts
regarding Tamiya acrylics.

Just to clarify, as this can cause some confusion with
some modelers.

A20 is the enamel thinner for their oil based paints.

A20A is the acrylic thinner for their acrylic line.

Cheers,
Joe

nr1forme
Visit this Community
Sweden
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 06:51 AM UTC
Hi again!

I'm happy to announce, problem solved!

I went back to the LHS and talked to the owner about my problem and my suspiscions about my paints coming from a bad batch. He then said that he just got a new shipment and went to get me some new bottles straight from the boxes in the storeroom.

When I got home I tried them right away.And guess what? They sprayed beautifully!

Very happy right now, gonna celebrate with a beer!

Best Regards!

Emil
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 07:12 AM UTC
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 07:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Eric,

You keep referring to A20 thinner in many of your posts
regarding Tamiya acrylics.

Just to clarify, as this can cause some confusion with
some modelers.

A20 is the enamel thinner for their oil based paints.

A20A is the acrylic thinner for their acrylic line.

Cheers,
Joe

Is it not suppose to be X-20A for acrylic paints ?
Did they refund your previous purchase ?
After the episode it should be a shot of Bourbon , wonder if you can thin Tamiya acrylic with that .
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 07:40 AM UTC
Oops....typo error....

Acrylic thinner .......X-20A

Enamel thinner ........X-20

Sorry about that!

(Quote)
After the episode it should be a shot of Bourbon , wonder if you can thin Tamiya acrylic with that .

I must try this!....you may have found the solution!

Cheers,
Joe
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 08:48 AM UTC
Then there's Mr Hobby Color thinner , that works with Tamiya acrylic also .
ebergerud
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 297 posts
Armorama: 164 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 09:18 AM UTC
Shows my vintage - I refer to A20 as an acrylic thinner. I've never seen a Tamiya enamel paint.

I've had fine results with Tamiya and Gunze lacquer thinner but have found that Gunze's "Mr. Color Levelling Thinner 400" is the best of the lot - especially if you want a very thin mix to be sprayed over a very low psi. Tamiya lacquer thinner, however, has milder fumes - don't know if that makes it less aggressive.

I find the matter of fumes increasingly important. I don't have a place that would allow a spray booth. And a couple of years back I went on a "just for the hell of it" quest to see if you could use fluid art acrylics as made by Golden and other top companies (not the craft stuff) on a model. You can very well if you learn how it works. The experience led me to start using Vallejo paints - mostly Model Color which airbrush very nicely if you handle it right. Anyway, I've grown used to painting and increasingly weathering models with stuff that in theory you could drink. I do like it. (Actually, there's a danger involved. I was using Tamiya with Gunze thinner the other day and the fumes quickly reminded me to put on a mask. I often forget when using Vallejo or Golden because you can't smell anything. But, as Golden makes very clear in their web site, the pigments are still there and it would not be a good idea to breath them into your system.)
Eric
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 - 07:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Shows my vintage - I refer to A20 as an acrylic thinner. I've never seen a Tamiya enamel paint.

I've had fine results with Tamiya and Gunze lacquer thinner but have found that Gunze's "Mr. Color Levelling Thinner 400" is the best of the lot - especially if you want a very thin mix to be sprayed over a very low psi. Tamiya lacquer thinner, however, has milder fumes - don't know if that makes it less aggressive.

I find the matter of fumes increasingly important. I don't have a place that would allow a spray booth. And a couple of years back I went on a "just for the hell of it" quest to see if you could use fluid art acrylics as made by Golden and other top companies (not the craft stuff) on a model. You can very well if you learn how it works. The experience led me to start using Vallejo paints - mostly Model Color which airbrush very nicely if you handle it right. Anyway, I've grown used to painting and increasingly weathering models with stuff that in theory you could drink. I do like it. (Actually, there's a danger involved. I was using Tamiya with Gunze thinner the other day and the fumes quickly reminded me to put on a mask. I often forget when using Vallejo or Golden because you can't smell anything. But, as Golden makes very clear in their web site, the pigments are still there and it would not be a good idea to breath them into your system.)
Eric

Tamiya enamels have been around for a long time , at least since the 70's , it's just that they seem to be rare in the USA . I've hearted that they are real nice paints and the colors match the acrylic line . I've seen them on eBay maybe I'll order some and give them a try . They have them with free shipping .
 _GOTOTOP