_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Competition Go Figure
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 - 01:55 PM UTC
Armorama in its attempts to draw more attention to the figures that accompany and add movement and life to the various Armoured Fighting Vehicles that our members build is looking at running a bi-monthly figure contest. This contest will run every other month and is intended to highlight the work done by yourselves on the figures produced in resin, injection moulded plastic and metal. We have been in contacted with a number of manufacturers who produce figures primarily in resin reference sponsoring the competition in the form of prizes.

The rules we have considered so far
1. The figures that are eligible must fit into the time period of WW1 to the current day.

2. The entry can consist of a single figure or a small group such as a tank crew.

3. The figures are the important aspect of the competition but we are obviously aware that interaction with a vehicle will often be the case.

4. We will require at least 15 pictures of the figure or figures which can be stand alone, a vignette, on/in a vehicle or as a part of a diorama. The voting members will be asked to vote on the figures and not the situation they are in.

5. Of the at least 15 pictures sent in one must be identified as the one you wish used for voting purposes and as long as that picture meets the criteria it will be used.

6. Due to an issue that occurred with the Dragon Model of the month, we will require one image of the figure/s with a piece of paper with your name and the date on it.

7. Each member of the network will be entitled to vote once for the entry they feel is the best of the bunch.

8. The winners of the competition will not be eligible to enter the following competition, but after that can enter again.

9. Ideally the figures will fall into a scale between 1/76th and 1/32nd scale. I am open to other scales if there is enough interest.

10. Any member found promoting their work in the forum to garner votes will be disqualified. This rule does not mean you cannot promote the competition as a whole.

11. While Armorama deals with primarily the armoured aspect of the hobby by its very nature, this competition will also be open to figures of sailors, airmen and civilians.

We are open to suggestions for other rules that you as members feel are necessary, but it is our intention to make the competition as open as possible. You are all welcome to your say on this suggestion for a regular competition and your comments will be considered before progressing too far with it.
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 - 02:43 PM UTC
Good idea. It should get some of building the figures piling up in the stash. Count me in for having a bash at it.

Kimmo
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 01:35 AM UTC
I've got a bunch I need to finish. This will be good incentive.
Venko555
Visit this Community
Bulgaria
KitMaker: 908 posts
Armorama: 698 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 02:26 AM UTC
Very nice idea, Darren! I will participate for sure, love figures
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 05:08 AM UTC
Thank you all for voicing your support on this subject. I would like members to be critical of any issues they see with the rules as laid out so far.

Also as with the Dragon Model of the Month contest the senders details will need to be laid out as follows.

Name:
Street Address:
City:
Region: (if any)
Postal Code:
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 05:37 AM UTC
As somebody who occasionally gets to process submitted photos for Features, can I make a plea for a minimum submitted file size of say 400 kb? If I need to crop pictures, there needs to be enough "meat" on them to survive the process. Sometimes we get pics where the subject is a small island of painted plastic, lost in a sea of plain white background, and I wind up cropping it to focus on the model in the middle. I cannot do that if the submitted image is already reduced to say 80 kb, since there just aren't enough pixels left - the resultant cropped image would be grainy and unusable.

And remember - not every shot needs to take in the whole scene! Use that zoom lens to get close-ups of details. And especially with figures, try to get some shots from "human height" too...

I can see this shaping up into a nifty little competition!
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 05:38 AM UTC
So just for clarification, if one were to do a WIP blog of a figure(s) but not mention the contest, could that figure(s) be entered or would that be seen as fishing for votes?

Kimmo
Venko555
Visit this Community
Bulgaria
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 05:44 AM UTC
I have only one question-are all 15 (or more) pictures must be of the finished figures or there must be in progress photos?

Thanks!
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 06:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So just for clarification, if one were to do a WIP blog of a figure(s) but not mention the contest, could that figure(s) be entered or would that be seen as fishing for votes?

Kimmo

Kimmo I would never discourage a member doing a blog on the site. As this is a contest I would rather the modeller was not identified prior to the vote; that being said as you are the members and the competition is your competition you tell me if you feel that it is ok. Majority rules on the matter.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 06:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have only one question-are all 15 (or more) pictures must be of the finished figures or there must be in progress photos?

Thanks!

Venelin i would prefer that the 15 images are of the completed figure or figures and the scene if applicable as they would be used for a photo feature after the competition they are entered in finishes. If you wish to send in pictures of the build then please do but send it along with text so that it can be used as a build feature.
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 06:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Kimmo

Kimmo I would never discourage a member doing a blog on the site. As this is a contest I would rather the modeller was not identified prior to the vote; that being said as you are the members and the competition is your competition you tell me if you feel that it is ok. Majority rules on the matter.

Fair enough. I suppose one could always do the blog in advance and then put it up after the contest.
Venko555
Visit this Community
Bulgaria
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 06:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks!

Venelin i would prefer that the 15 images are of the completed figure or figures and the scene if applicable as they would be used for a photo feature after the competition they are entered in finishes. If you wish to send in pictures of the build then please do but send it along with text so that it can be used as a build feature.

OK thanks for clarification, it was my misunderstanding!

Cheers!
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 07:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Kimmo

If I read that correctly don't you think it might sound a bit odd if say, as I'm working on a nice little Alpine figure and I just happen to mention the contest during my build log it might be a litle obvious that I'm likely to submit it for the figure contest? As long as no ones asking people to vote; for them or anyone else, that should be fine?

And I assume your limiting the scale as that's part of figure painting? Someone with a /16th scale figure would have a signifigantly easier time painting than someone with some braillescale pilots or something similar.

And has the idea been mentioned on Historicus forum yet? They do figures right? I think is would be nice if we had a bigger group of people with interest as looking at the DMoM contest results is a little lack luster sometimes. Thrity votes for one person, ten for the next etcetera. Maybe that's just just me though.

Mmh, and how are you limiting people from entering DMoM and the figure contest? Plan on buolding a diorama, finish the vehicle, submit the normal, vehicle only photos for DMoM. Build figures, submit those photos as well. Finish diorama and stick it in display cabnet.

Is there even concern about this or would it be allowed? If it is allowed are you also not allowed to submit for the next DMoM and figure contest or are they seperate?

Sorry for bring so much stuff up, just tring to be helpful.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 07:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If I read that correctly don't you think it might sound a bit odd if say, as I'm working on a nice little Alpine figure and I just happen to mention the contest during my build log it might be a litle obvious that I'm likely to submit it for the figure contest? As long as no ones asking people to vote; for them or anyone else, that should be fine?

I agree but it is your contest and I will go with the majority.

Quoted Text

And I assume your limiting the scale as that's part of figure painting? Someone with a /16th scale figure would have a signifigantly easier time painting than someone with some braillescale pilots or something similar.

I did consider 1/16th scale but felt that figures in this scale may have an unfair advantage due to usually having better detail due to size, i also aware however that the larger size also means they can be harder to paint in a realistic manner. If you the members feel 1/16th should be included so be it.

Quoted Text

And has the idea been mentioned on Historicus forum yet? They do figures right? I think is would be nice if we had a bigger group of people with interest as looking at the DMoM contest results is a little lack luster sometimes. Thrity votes for one person, ten for the next etcetera. Maybe that's just just me though.

I have not mentioned it on HF as they deal with figures from a different historical period; I am of course aware of the skills that are on that site and they would be very welcome to enter the competition with a suitable entry. Part of the reason I have not posted on HF is that they have their own competition and I do not want to detract from that.

Quoted Text

Mmh, and how are you limiting people from entering DMoM and the figure contest? Plan on buolding a diorama, finish the vehicle, submit the normal, vehicle only photos for DMoM. Build figures, submit those photos as well. Finish diorama and stick it in display cabnet.

I have no issue with a member entering a vehicle in the DMoM, which actively discourages figures being present, and figures in the figure contest at the same time, after all one vote is for the model vehicle and the other for the figures

Quoted Text

Is there even concern about this or would it be allowed? If it is allowed are you also not allowed to submit for the next DMoM and figure contest or are they seperate?

I am not 100% sure what you are asking here. If it is to do with entering twice with the same build, then that would not be permitted.
A member who wins a price in the either the DMoM or the figure contest is not permitted to entered the following contest, but after that can enter as normal.
A member who won a prize in the DMoM would still be allowed to enter the figure contest and vice versa.

Quoted Text

Sorry for bring so much stuff up, just tring to be helpful.

No problem and thank you for your input.
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 03:06 PM UTC
I didn't know Historicus already had a competition going.

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I am not 100% sure what you are asking here. If it is to do with entering twice with the same build, then that would not be permitted.
A member who wins a price in the either the DMoM or the figure contest is not permitted to entered the following contest, but after that can enter as normal.
A member who won a prize in the DMoM would still be allowed to enter the figure contest and vice versa.

Mmh I should have elaborated a bit more; it was still early for me and I wasn't as clear as I could have been.

What I was think was if someone were to do something for a camapign, a small diorama with a vehicle and figures, it would be very easy to have a photo of your vehicle that's in line with DMoM rules. Build and paint your figures and submit those for the figure contest and still use the completed diorama for your campaign submission too.

I guess that doesn't break any rules as of now, and the staff have better things to do than poke through all the threads and campaign logs looking for things that have been used for all three.
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,380 posts
Armorama: 845 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 09:42 PM UTC
Hello,

Thta's a great idea ! Competition is a good incentive to push people to paint their grey army.

But, if I may permit, as Keynes would have said : "too much rules kills the rules". As far as I can see, figure subject on Armorama is not quite regular. If you push too much barrier, the incentive effect won't work. Be more flexible so that as many people as possible can participate.

It should start by the scales. All scales should be allowed, any subject, any composition as far as figures are involved. I can tell you, any scale you are working on could be a challenge, from 28mm to 200mm. The same for historical period (but here you might want not to compete Historicus Forma, maybe).What you might want to introduce could be different category, depending upon the number of entry. I would suggest not to introduce any category at the beginning, except maybe Beginner and advanced, in order not to discourage our fellow beginning in the figure world. If you have enough entries, you could differentiate historic from military, civilian, resin, palstic, etc.

I don't under the blog thing. I should encourage people doing in progress blog, because this where you can get advises. Of course somebody directly encouraging the reader to vote for his piece shouldn't be allowed to participate. But you should really encourage in WIP blog. You know, even if you encourage people to vote you, that doesn't mean they will. Presidential election would be too easy then )
As far as identification is concerned, don't fool yourself, people will associate one figure to one participant, because people who will vote will be the one following the wip blog.

Linked to the WIP blog, I wouldn't prohibit in progress pictures, specially if there is transformations, scratch or original sculpting.

Rule 8 is a good rule.
Tom's remarks are very relevant, although one could be ilmited by our own camera capacities.

Again, it's a very welcome move for stimulating figure interest on that forum, byut don't make that too stringent at the beginning if you want let this contest a chance of being popular.

my 2 cents

Best,
J
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 08:33 AM UTC
Julien; thank you for your thoughts on this matter.
I would like to address some of the points you have raised. I specified figures from WW1 on and the scales because I did not want to detract from or step on the toes of the HF site on this network and I also believe the publisher would not want me doing that either. On the subject of beginners and established modellers; we did try to address this issue with the DMoM and it was a complete failure and that is why I have not gone with it further here.

Regarding Blogs; we either advise everyone to blog their build or advise against it, both have merit and pitfalls. As an example an established figure builder could blog a fantastic scratch build of a figure and not get the finish right, while someone else could paint a figure from the box and do an especially good finish; when the voting opens the person who did all of the scratch work but didn’t get the finish right may accrue more votes because of the work done scratching the figure when it is the finished look members should be voting on. That is why I am torn and suggested the rules as is.

You are spot on when you say rules can deter participation, however I need to have some in place to keep the playing field as open and fair as possible. As i have said I am very open to you as members deciding how you want to shape your competition.

Finishing with some very positive news; we have had replies from some companies expressing their support and interest in this competition. So far Alpine Miniatures, Bravo 6 and Evolution Miniatures have all offered to provide prizes for winners of the competitions.
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 09:18 AM UTC
Should be some fantastic surprises. Between the three of them there are some really nice figures from WWII to present day.
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 11:41 AM UTC
This sounds awesome. Whatever the rules might be, I'm in.

-Conor
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 01:18 AM UTC
Any further info on dates and rules?

Kimmo
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 02:51 AM UTC
Yes I am just writing up a piece inviting entries.
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 03:06 AM UTC
Most excellent.

Kimmo
 _GOTOTOP