_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
T-55 C1 on UN mission
AKirchhoff
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 307 posts
Armorama: 304 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 12:43 AM UTC
Hi!
I do have only very very limited knowledge on soviet armor, so I apologise for any question that may be silly to someone with at least medium knowledge...

I found some pictures of a T-55 C1 fitted with KMT-6 and KMT-7 plough and roller and used during a UN mission and found this vehicle quite interesting to build for my collection.

Also, there is the Skif kit No 224 (Scale 1/35) which shows at least this version with KMT-6 only. So, the quality of Skif is not the best what I read so far, so I do have the following question:

Which T-55 type is the base for this T-55 C1 tank in original? I googled a lot and noted that T-55 as every tank had several models. Would it be possible for example to use the Tamiya T-55 (which shall build into 5 different models?) as a base by only removing the gun/mantlet? Might be at least a problem with the turret hatches which seem different to the C1. Or is there any other good alternative to the C1 from Skif?

Is it a common use to use KMT-6 AND KMT-7 together (which was the case on the UN mission), or has the fixing points on the hull to be altered to do so?

From my research, the KMT-7 from MIG is the only game in town? Any alternatives in plastic?

Thank you very much to the eastern armour experts for bringing up some info here for me!

Andreas
flugwuzzi
Visit this Community
Lower Austria, Austria
KitMaker: 633 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 09:37 PM UTC
Hi Andreas,
this is a nice modelling subject ;-)

I haven´t seen the SKIF T-55C1 yet but I personally would go with the Tamiya T-55. The MIG KMT-7 Mineroller is also a good choice.

For the KMT-6 is only the Skif Kit available, but you have to do some modifications to get it right. Take a look at this thread https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/158726&page=1

Jari made a nice model of this mineclearing vehicle, maybe you can get some more information from him

http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/thread/1343755108/Slovakian+T-55+mine-clearing+vehicle,+AD+2010

cheers
Walter
seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 - 02:57 AM UTC
Hello Andreas,
I think what we see when the rollers and plows are used in conjunction is actually the KMT-8 rather than the KMT-6 as seen here http://www.dishmodels.ru/wshow.htm?p=1706

It may be possible to modify the Skif kit as other than the mounts and actuating arm , they look pretty similar. As you can see in the above link the -8 plow mount incorperates one of the roller mounts that allows them to be mounted together.

PM me and I'll send some additional info.

Sean
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 - 08:55 AM UTC
Hi;
The KMT-7 is the Most Modern of the Soviets Anti-mine Rollers, and is not correct for A T-55. You should use one of the other Mine Rollers, the Early type. The KMT-7 when looking at its Manufacture is made of Welded Steel for the most part, as it is more correct for A T-72, T-80, or the T-90. Even A T-64 could use the KMT-7, the early Mine Rollers were made of Rolled Steel Tube in there construction and are the most common when seen on T-55s, T-62s, ! As for the Mine Rake the Skiff kit is o.k. but needs some corrections too make it Accurate, the Build Blog that was made with the Tamiya T-72 that you can find on Armorama will show you a Superb build of A T-72 with the KMT-6 in UN white and is Worth looking at. There is the T-55 that is on the e-net in UN white that is a Must See if you are thinking of the T-55, and the Skiff kit could give you a Base kit too Build on. But IMHO the Tamiya T-55 is the Better Choice, I have built the Mine Rake and the Mine Roller systems on A T-64, T-72 and make Stunning Vehicles.
Miniarm is going too release a kit of a Mine Rake that should be a Stunning kit and I cant wait too get my Hands On.

CHEERS; MIKE.
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 - 10:44 AM UTC
Mike, the KMT-7 can be installed on the T-55, it’s actually more common than you would think. You have to remember that the KMT series are universal and meant to be installed on all the T variants out there thanks to how the mounting plates are set up on the lower hull. Even early T-54 that went through upgrades had these plates installed for the mine clearing gear. Slovakia deployed their T-55C1 to both Bosnia and Africa using both the KMT-6 and KMT-7. They also deployed to Iraq using just the KMT-7’s. There are even 2 photos showing them with KMT-7’s and the blades from a KMT-6 installed at the same time.

Andreas – For the T-55C1, as far as I know, Czech Republic and Slovakia are the only 2 countries that use these vehicles. That being said, the C1 is bases around the Czech design which have a slightly different engine deck from their Russian counterpart. You do this a couple of ways, Eduard did a photo etch set for the older Esci kit which included the proper covers for the Czech variant, but may not fit the Tamiya kit due to dimension difference. Or you can scratch build it out of plastic which would be the better route and simple to do. Or you can fork out the money and buy the CMK conversion for the Czech T-55AM2 which has everything for the new deck. Now for those that were deployed with the UN, they mostly had their fuel tanks removed from the fenders and the mounts for the fuel drums were not installed. Really no need to have all that extra fuel on a tank that is rolling over land mines. Beyond that they were down to basic gear installed, no IR search light next to the mantle. Some even had extra driving lights installed on both sides of the fenders.

KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 - 02:48 PM UTC
Wow, a wealth of information in here, Thank you.
I plan to paint my SKIF kit like one of these

AKirchhoff
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 - 08:38 PM UTC
Hi!
Thank you very much, gentlemen, for all this useful and very valuable information how to do such project! Also for the background information you all gave to me on that subject.

@Walter: Thanks for that link!What a great job it is that Jari did here. Will take this as a guide for mine...

@Sean: Thank you for pointing that out. Yes, it looks really as if this is the KMT-8 version. I was aware myself that there might be some attachment points missing to fit both equipments, but I came to no conclusion how this might be solved.

@Mike: You refer to a T-55 in UN white in the net. Do you think of that T-55 C1 with the plow, picture No 4 in the posting of Christopher (which I already found a couple of pictures of) or did you find any T-55 MBT in UN white? I did actually not, only one picture of a T-59 MBT. Thank you very much for the advice on miniarm. I just checked and saw the CAD picture, and well, it really shows as if they are doing that KMT-8 like version which fits both systems to the vehicle at the same time. Any idea when it will be available?

@Christopher: Thank you very much for linking the pictures. Some of them are really new to me. Also thanks for the hinds how to work on the engine deck and the fuel tanks!

Again, thank you very much gentlemen. Your help is most valuable!

Andreas

grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 02:32 PM UTC
Hi Andreas;

Yes that is the T-55 that I am referring too, I think there are a total of Five or Six pictures of it on the net.
I have seen A build of the same vehicle that someone made, I just cant remember who it was at the moment.
When I posted my remarks on the KMT-7, I was referring too the Time Period that you would normally have seen A T-55 using A Rake or A Roller. There are quite A few kits that give you the early type, such as Trumpeters Old T-55 and some of the others like the Panther M-1 which is great as it gives you Both A Roller and the Ramta mine rake. As far as I know the kit by Miniarm is still planed, But No release date that I am aware of.
CHEERS; MIKE.
AKirchhoff
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 07:09 PM UTC
Hi Mike,
thank you for this additional info. However, the Rampta plow and the M1`s roller are not suitable for the T-55. I contacted Miniarm yesterday and they answered that the mine clearing equipment is scheduled to be available in May 2014. So, not that long to wait, I will pick up a set for that build as soon as it is available.

Greetings
Andreas
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 07:22 PM UTC
Hi Andreas;

Yes the Mine Rake is not correct, but the Mine Roller is. !

CHEERS; MIKE.
 _GOTOTOP