Hosted by Darren Baker
Base preparation prior to pouring water
exit263
Visit this Community
Brunei
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 - 06:15 PM UTC
Hi guys .. been trying to search for the topic on base preparation before pouring water onto the groundwork but couldnt find or not what ive been looking for. Need advice on how should i prepare my base groundwork since im using real Earth + PVA white glue to make my base.

I prepared my base & so i decided to pour the Woodland Scenic water. Since being a newbie i didnt expect the water would be absorb by the ground work. So can anyone pls advice how to prevent this to happen. Thank you
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 02:38 AM UTC
Hope you removed worms and other little critters first. If you're going to use real earth it might be good to micro wave it to kill those little buggers.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 02:41 AM UTC
Whatever you're using for water - whether it's acrylic based or resin - make sure the cavity is walled up evenly all around. Otherwise your 'water' will run off the diorama .
jhoenig
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 343 posts
Armorama: 313 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 03:04 AM UTC
Once the base is set you can brush full strength matte medium over it to "seal" it,(then add any debris or rocks over that). I would then let that completely cure before pouring any "water" into it (days to a week). As Biggles said make sure any ends are dammed up or it will find its way out. Personally not a fan of real earth other then roads and I use resin.
- John
exit263
Visit this Community
Brunei
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 06:13 PM UTC
Thanks for the tips peep.. really appreciate it.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 03:47 AM UTC
If Celluclay or similar product is available in your country, I would suggest laying a core of that product, and then a thin layer of your earth and glue mix on top. It will cut the overall weight considerably.
 _GOTOTOP