_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Trumpeter Challenger 2 (Op. Telic)
ubermensche
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 04:33 AM UTC
It's been a while that I posted something here. But it's has been a while since I was able to model anything.

Anyhow here's something I made about a month and a half ago. I was always too lazy to post them online. Trumpeter Challenger 2 Operation Telic(I got it for like 8$ in China). Not really up to the quality of what you guys usually make but still, I'm posting 'cause I want some feedback.

Please note 2 thing about the dire quality of this model:
1) I made everything in a week, because that was the only time that I had (my university has Spring Break/Reading Week in md february).

2) It's only my third model

3) I ran out of paint to cover the screwed over decals.

The weathering on the mud flaps was surprisingly successful

And the poor photography was due to the fact that I didn't have access to a good camera (I took the pics with an iPhone) and I didn't have access to a place with good lighting (there are surprisingly no white walls in my parents' place).

Also another thing. This summer I'm considering getting an airbrush.
1) Is it advised for someone of my level to get one? I do plan on continuing to model on a long term and I'll be able to model more next year since I'll be in an apartment instead of a university dorm.
2) If so, what is a decent price/quality airbrush?
Redprol
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 103 posts
Armorama: 90 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 05:15 AM UTC
Yuchen,

Modelling is like everything else in life keep doing it and you will get better, when i think and look at models I’ve made in the past well let’s not go there.

This brings me to air brushes, i have an Iwata HPC and it’s served me well, others will have their personal choice a quick search on this site will prove. My advice would be….

1 Find a store or group where you can use different types of airbrush, and have a go.

2. Factor in the cost of a compressor, this could double the size of your budget, but if you think of them as being the same thing in the long term it will pay dividends. Here in the UK the cans of air you can buy equal about 15 to the cost of my compressor, plus they freeze, air flow drops and they run out when least want them to.
3. Avoid eBay bargains, they are not.
4. Go on line there are many good tutorials if you PM me I will send you a link to a great one that I use.

That’s it really, oh and have fun!

barny
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 273 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 05:16 AM UTC
Really nice model mate..
Airbrush go for the best that you can afford.
Don't use air cans as it gets expensive
Practice on paper to get the hang of it ,I started spraying coloured water to get used to what they can do

Terry
ubermensche
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 05:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yuchen,

Modelling is like everything else in life keep doing it and you will get better, when i think and look at models I’ve made in the past well let’s not go there.

This brings me to air brushes, i have an Iwata HPC and it’s served me well, others will have their personal choice a quick search on this site will prove. My advice would be….

1 Find a store or group where you can use different types of airbrush, and have a go.

2. Factor in the cost of a compressor, this could double the size of your budget, but if you think of them as being the same thing in the long term it will pay dividends. Here in the UK the cans of air you can buy equal about 15 to the cost of my compressor, plus they freeze, air flow drops and they run out when least want them to.
3. Avoid eBay bargains, they are not.
4. Go on line there are many good tutorials if you PM me I will send you a link to a great one that I use.

That’s it really, oh and have fun!

Great tips! Thanks! I've heard that airbrushes, if properly maintained, can last for decades, so I definitely think that it'll be a good investment. And do you know any good models of air compressors that aren't that noisy? I don't want the house to sound like a jackhammer everytime I paint.

PM sent.

Quoted Text

Really nice model mate..
Airbrush go for the best that you can afford.
Don't use air cans as it gets expensive
Practice on paper to get the hang of it ,I started spraying coloured water to get used to what they can do

Terry

That sounds good! Thanks.

Also, what are some good prices for airbrushes and compressors? On Amazon, I saw that they sell for around 110$ USD/CAD. Is that a fair price?
 _GOTOTOP