_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Dragon Dieppe Naval Infantry
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 05:06 AM UTC
I noticed that on this kit, the figures are in the blue Kriegsmarine service uniforms while Kriegsmarine infantry wore army-style uniforms or specialty grey fighting uniforms. What's the idea-were the Kriegsmarine caugfht by surprise by the Dieppe raid and didn't have time to change into combat clothes?
RonV
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 143 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 05:24 PM UTC
The Kriegsmarine field gray uniform was worn by KM land based sailors, primarily Coastal Artillery and the Flak and Infantry that protected these installations. I understand this uniform was also worn during their basic training where they would have received small arms training. A number of KM infantry divisions were raised in late 1944 as the German homeland was threatened.

The normal KM naval uniforms were worn by those involved with the operation of KM vessels, whether as crew or harbor support. Thus the figures in question wore the naval uniform and operated as an ad hoc infantry unit.

HTH
Ron Volstad
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 04:07 AM UTC
Hi Ron! A question concerning the box cover art on Dragon's European SAS jeep; your artwork has a driver and passenger in the Jeep, but the kit comes without them, and instead has a very old set of SAS troops. Was that Dragon's cheap idea? A little disappointing! BTW - love your artwork!
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 02:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Ron! BTW - love your artwork!

May I join the Ron Volstad fan club! Your artwork has always been a very high pleasure to see! I bet some of Dragon's success is due to your beautiful presentation!!

Cheers

Romain

jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 02:21 AM UTC
Also a big fan,
I am positive it was because of the box art that dragon built such a following in figs and vehicles. Problem is,most of the time the art is way better than the contents. It is usually a nice challenge to try to get the figs to look as good as Rons' drawings,
J
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 04:10 AM UTC
In Dragon's defense, in that respect, MB's box art is often better and sometimes a little different than the contents, too. And the same can go for MiniArt, as well.
 _GOTOTOP